Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Selling car when owner has died

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
6 replies 5.7K views
far2812far2812 Forumite
919 Posts
PPI Party Pooper
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
evening all.

We need to sell mil's car for the probate. Questions are:-

1. Can we sell the car if the V5 is in MIL's name (now deceased)?
2. If we have to send log book off, how long roughly does it take!!

As ever, very grateful.
Total Quidco earnings - £547.98

Everyone is scared of someone or something, everyone loves someone or something, and everyone has lost someone or something! BE NICE!

Replies

• bazzybbazzyb Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    far2812 wrote: »
    Can we sell the car if the V5 is in MIL's name (now deceased)?

Yes, the V5c has absolutely nothing to do with ownership/legal title. Doesn't matter whose name is on it.
  • far2812far2812 Forumite
    919 Posts
    PPI Party Pooper
    Do we just sell the car then please?
    Total Quidco earnings - £547.98

Everyone is scared of someone or something, everyone loves someone or something, and everyone has lost someone or something! BE NICE!
  • facadefacade Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    The executor can.
    Be warned that if it is sold "under market value" that the beneficiaries can come after the executor for the difference.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • hprice1099hprice1099 Forumite
    11 Posts
    Part of the Furniture First Post Combo Breaker
    There are few details that need to be cleared when transferring the car title of a deceased person. The vehicle becomes a part of the estate after death of the owner. The probate court (each county has its own probate court) that deals with estate execution after death appoints an executor of the deceased owner's estate by certifying such a position in an official letter. Then the executor is able to transfer the car title to someone specified in a will. If there is no will, then the probate court will appoint a personal representative who will administer the estate, including passing the estate, such as house, vehicles and other property, to the heirs after paying out the debts of the deceased person. After taking care of the legal matters, you will then need to transfer title to the car.
  • Hi, it is quite simple based on my two experiences. First is lost my dad, who was the registered keeper of a car. Mum just kept on driving it. Thought we might have a problem on trade in but the main dealer just accepted it in PX.
    Second was my mum (on trading in the old, registered to dad) has passed away leaving a nearly new car. Issue was not insured anymore and what to do. Not got probate yet but transferred to grandchild. My understanding is that the estate do not particularly want a car but what the car is worth needs to be recorded against the estate.
    Anyhow, DVLA were really helpful, sent the log book off with deceased written wher sig should go, on their advice and new log book has been sent out.
    Taxing the car has been an issue, see my thread on this, but apart from this, straightforward.
  • TonyMMMTonyMMM Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    The executor can sell the car, they can sign the V5 when it is sold as "executor of ...." - they just need to make sure the proceeds are properly accounted for as part of the estate.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

New plastic £50 note in circulation

Inventor and codebreaker Alan Turing is pictured

MSE News

TV MoneySaving tricks

How to save on Sky, Netflix, Now TV, Prime Video and more

MSE Guides

Pret subscription loophole

Get a month's worth of free smoothies, frappes, coffee etc

MSE Deals