PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Problems with LL and Management Co

Options
Hi all, I am having problems with my LL and Management Co on a flat I've recently moved into and wonder if anyone can help me.

I paid 6 months rent upfront, and a week after I'd moved in the boiler broke. It's not holding the pressure and I have to top up the pressure every week, and keep an eye on it pretty much every day.

Gas engineer told them what part was needed, but advised that the boiler really needs replaced, and the part might not last. The LL is refusing to do anything to the boiler and said she'll think about it again in the new year.

Lease runs out in April and I've already decided to move but I've paid a load of money upfront and according to the Mgmt Co I've to be sympathetic because boilers aren't cheap and Christmas is a difficult time of year!

What are my options, if I have any at all? Thanks in advance.
Feb 2024:
CC1 6537.66
CC2 7804.45
CC3 4221.17
CC4 2053.68
CC5 989.30
Loan 1 3686.44
Loan 2 5275.22

Total £30,567.92

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you got any other form of heating and hot water ?

You have done the correct thing by reporting it to the LA/LL (make sure you have your request to fix it in writing) but at the moment it is still working so difficult to insist that it is replaced.

Looks like you may have to wait until it breaks completely to get anything done so make sure you get some back up free standing heaters (borrow from friend/family) just in case.

I know this isn't what you want to hear but realistically you cannot make your LL do anything without going through a lengthy procedure. (Shelter has some good information about this - I'll find the link)

Have you got a Gas Safety certificate?
  • wildheart83
    wildheart83 Posts: 847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 November 2014 at 11:59AM
    Options
    Thanks for the link I'll have a look there. I have a couple of oil filled radiators/heaters, but the shower runs off the boiler so when it does stop working I can't get a shower, I can only boil the kettle to get a wash.

I asked the management co what would happen if I stopped topping up the pressure and they advised that I'd be liable for the gas engineer's visit to top up the pressure so I feel like I'm stuck having to do my LL's job while she sits back laughing with my money.

Sorry forgot to say yes I have the gas safety cert, need to check the date on it though
    Feb 2024:
    CC1 6537.66
    CC2 7804.45
    CC3 4221.17
    CC4 2053.68
    CC5 989.30
    Loan 1 3686.44
    Loan 2 5275.22

Total £30,567.92
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not sure what 'topping up the pressure' involves!

If it's more complicated than turning a knob then it might be worth asking for a small deduction from your rent as compensation for the inconvenience.

Since you are in a fixed term there is no question of landlord getting stroppy and evicting you (particularly as you intend to leave anyway) so asking for a reduction might be worth a try.

You could start your letter with 'am aware that this is an expensive time of the year and you do not wish to replace the boiler at the moment but it takes me *** minutes each ** to top up the pressure on the boiler so............................'

The LL can only say 'no'.

As I said before the boiler is still working so a difficult situation.

I don't suppose you are eligible for a free boiler are you? (google for more information)
  • dodger1
    dodger1 Posts: 4,579 Forumite
    Options
    pmlindyloo wrote: »
    Not sure what 'topping up the pressure' involves!

If it's more complicated than turning a knob then it might be worth asking for a small deduction from your rent as compensation for the inconvenience.

This. OP what is involved?
    It's someone else's fault.
  • wildheart83
    Options
    Sadly no, I'm not eligible for a free boiler, and I've already paid my rent upfront so I don't expect them to refund anything.

The boiler is boxed in so all the wood used to box it in needs to come off each time I need to get in to the tap/lever which is slightly annoying.

I guessed that there's probably not much I can do but wait for her, it's slightly frustrating that I've had 2 pages of faults and it's taking weeks to get anything fixed :( thanks for your help, it's appreciated
    Feb 2024:
    CC1 6537.66
    CC2 7804.45
    CC3 4221.17
    CC4 2053.68
    CC5 989.30
    Loan 1 3686.44
    Loan 2 5275.22

Total £30,567.92
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories