Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Spy cars used by councils

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
4 replies 944 views
MABLEMABLE Forumite
4K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
I thought these cars had been abolished now but only yesterday I saw two driving around our city. Anyone know has there has now been a change on this and perhaps the council are appealing hence the reason they are still being used.

I had also thought they may be just driving these cars around but are not able to fine people now and therefore using them as some kind of deterrent. Only a thought of course.

Replies

• Johno100Johno100 Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    It isn't going to be a total ban when it is brought in, only really effecting some parking enforcement.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-bans-use-of-cctv-spy-cars-for-on-street-parking
    In a victory for drivers and shoppers, the government will make it illegal to use closed circuit television (CCTV) ‘spy cars’ alone to enforce on-street parking ending the plague of parking tickets by post, Communities Secretary Eric Pickles and Transport Secretary Patrick McLoughlin announced today (21 June 2014).

The announcement is one of a range of measures that will give hard working people and local shops a fairer deal by reining-in over-zealous parking enforcement practices, which often force people to shop in out-of-town centres or online.

The long-called for ban will now become law through the Deregulation Bill, following a 3-month consultation. Tickets will have to be fixed to the windscreen by parking wardens, making it illegal for councils to issue penalty charge notices to drivers using just the CCTV spy cars that currently patrol roads for on-street parking enforcement.

Parking officers will now carry out all essential enforcement, limiting the use of CCTV to issue tickets by post to critical routes such as schools, bus lanes, bus stops and red routes where public transport must be kept moving for safety reasons.
  • Strider590Strider590 Forumite
    11.9K Posts
    MABLE wrote: »
    I thought these cars had been abolished now but only yesterday I saw two driving around our city. Anyone know has there has now been a change on this and perhaps the council are appealing hence the reason they are still being used.

I had also thought they may be just driving these cars around but are not able to fine people now and therefore using them as some kind of deterrent. Only a thought of course.

They're not interested in deterrents, only in making money. Making the roads safer is merely the bullsh*t they use to gain public support.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • fred246fred246 Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a really clever way of getting my own back at these disgusting councils trying to make money out of motorists. I FOLLOW THE RULES OF THE ROAD and they have never made a penny out of me.
  • sh0597sh0597 Forumite
    578 Posts
    It seemed like a good idea, if you don't want a ticket then don't park illegally. If you do, then man up and pay the fine.

If there's nowhere to park then we need more infrastructure, not making it easier to park in a dangerous place.
This discussion has been closed.