my husband won't add me on his deeds! need advice!

2»

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    marriage has no purpose imo

As long as you don't mind missing out on some benefits, the spousal exemption for inheritance tax, automatically being next of kin for health issues and automatically inheriting from each other.
  • Thanks very much everyone for your comments. It seems there are so many different views on it all. I'm going to get my mums money protected and my husband has agreed to sign to state she gets her money back if we were to ever split.

It is different in other countries I know. It seems to be that in my husbands country if the male inherits money then it's only them that are listed on the deeds. My husband said his brothers wife isn't listed either despite being married when he got the inheritance and bought his apartment! It seems a lot more fair in the UK!
  • borkid
    borkid Posts: 2,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Lucinda32 wrote: »
    Thanks very much everyone for your comments. It seems there are so many different views on it all. I'm going to get my mums money protected and my husband has agreed to sign to state she gets her money back if we were to ever split.
    When you say protected do you mean she just gets back what she paid in or will it be prorata of the original price and selling price? I know your mum gave you the money but it would be a nice gesture to allow her to make some interest on it ie a share in the equity if things didn't go according to plan in your life.

Re your husband not putting you on the deeds, if he were to die would you inherit the property or would it go to his side of the family ie brother or such? I would feel very let down ( putting it mildly) if say my sister in law inherited any of my husband's property over me. I would feel my husband was putting his birth family above me.
  • LEP
    LEP Posts: 137 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    We do everything a married couple would do but don't split our wealth down the middle simple as that and we don't need a relegious ceremony and a piece of paper to prove it to other people. marriage has no purpose imo

Do you split the restuarant bill along similar lines i.e. not down the middle?
  • I hadn't thought about protecting my mums deposit on a pro rata basis, consider it! It's all so complicated! Thanks for mentioning that as a possibility.

Yes I would inherit his apartment in the event of death.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure