Laptop or Ipad

in Techie Stuff
13 replies 1.4K views
dawnie1972dawnie1972 Forumite
2.4K Posts
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
Forumite
Tonight my laptop has died. I turned it on and some odd looking screens came up which I believe as the windows update, I then got a black screen with a white box saying "Setting up personalised settings for web based customisation" it stayed like this for an hour, I then tried a few things after googling it but all I get now is a black screen. I don't know how to restore it. My questions are

A) how do I restore a Fujitsu Amilo Li 2735
B) assuming it can't be resurrected am I better off getting another laptop or an IPad (mainly use laptop for Internet, uploading photos etc)
C) if I were to get another laptop what is best one pref same spec as one I have ; 2Gb DDR Ram, 15.4 screen, 250gb h/drive (160gb Sata hd), 1280x800 screen res, Intel centurion core 2 duo, 1.83ghz processor.
Thank you
A home is not a home ..... without a dog :heart:

Replies

• edited 30 November 2014 at 2:07PM
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 30 November 2014 at 2:07PM
    A 15.4" laptop is a completely different animal to an Ipad.

A ~ 10" laptop is more comparable to an Ipad.

If a laptop, will you be using it mostly at home, or travelling a lot?

If travelling a lot, an Ipad (or smaller laptop) would probably make more sense.

A large and heavy laptop will take its toll on you, if you are lugging it around all day.
  • A._BadgerA._Badger Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If you do much typing, forget a tablet. Yes, you can get a wireless keyboard, but that somewhat defeats the object of having a lightweight, easily portable device.
  • Have you already saved a copy of your important data?
  • prowlaprowla Forumite
    12.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Laptop: typing, storing data, larger screen, playing CDs/DVDs.
    Tablet: ease of use, fast switch on, handy size, lightweight.
    Both: email, browsing/surfing the web, streaming movies.

Today's budget laptops should meet or exceed the spec of your old one.

However, it would appear that the problem with your current laptop is either software or maybe a faulty hard disk or memory module, both of which are replaceable.

If it were me, I'd be trying to figure out the issue and then reinstalling the operating system, but that would (a) lose all of your data, (b) need install media or a working recovery partition..

Figuring out the issue may or may not be tricky; some computers allow you to interrupt boot and enter the BIOS (a pretty simple program which is embedded in the hardware whose main job is to boot the operating system, Windows, from your hard disk) and run diagnostics, like a hard disk or memory test.

Another alternative way of checking out your system is to get a Linux "Live" CD/DVD, if you have a CD/DVD drive, and see if that boots up to a desktop. You're not going to need to use Linux, just see if it works; if it does, then that gives you a hint that your machine is not fundamentally broken. Getting a disk could be a challenge or easy, depending whether you know someone.

Of course, though, it is a heck of a lot easier to just go and buy a new one...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    prowla wrote: »
    Tablet: ease of use, fast switch on, handy size, lightweight.

Laptops can be fast switch on too.

My Win 8 Laptop will boot to the login screen in 19 seconds.
  • dawnie1972dawnie1972 Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    Forumite
    Thanks for all your replies. Laptop came on this morning all bit it very very slow to do anything. The home screen is completely different so it seems I've had a windows update however its likely the hard drive has been damaged/is corrupt. I have an external hard drive so am going to get everything off it (only really photo's & documents) then its going down the tip.
    So what would be the best laptop with relatively same spec as I have now, speedy as poss without breaking the bank please.

Thank you
    0 Posts
    What do you intend to use it for, and where will you be using it, ie. just at home, or travelling a lot?

How much are you able to spend?
  • dawnie1972dawnie1972 Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    Forumite
    Hi thanks for your reply. Will only be using it at home.
    Using it for surfing net mainly, uploading photos, documents/spreadsheets etc. I'm not very techie minded so just the basics :-)
    Haven't much excess cash as just had a payrise but that doesnt hit the bank until new year but realise I'll only get what I pay for.
    0 Posts
    If you are only using it at home, do you really need a laptop?

PCs tend to be cheaper, for a similar spec, and tend to be more upgradable.
  • dawnie1972 wrote: »
    Thanks for all your replies. Laptop came on this morning all bit it very very slow to do anything. The home screen is completely different so it seems I've had a windows update however its likely the hard drive has been damaged/is corrupt. I have an external hard drive so am going to get everything off it (only really photo's & documents) then its going down the tip.
    So what would be the best laptop with relatively same spec as I have now, speedy as poss without breaking the bank please.

Thank you

Get everything off and then reinstall the operating system...good as new.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Check your Clubcard vouchers

Use our trick to extend them

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals