Saturday 29 and Sunday 30 November - what small DFW things will you do this weekend?

DawnWDawnW Forumite
7.2K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
Forumite
When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym .

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important :money:

Replies

• DawnWDawnW Forumite
    7.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Couldn't see a thread, so thought I would start one :D

So far today I have:
    No heating on except for the bathroom, airing cupboard and loft conversion bedroom, on timer.
    Sainsburys shop for the things I couldn't get yesterday in Lidls
    Bought a Christmas present for smallest grandchild in the lovely toy shop in town while I was out, still a couple left to get
    Quick tidy round
    Emailed Thompson and Morgan about missing order :mad:
    Breakfast and lunch from stores

Still to do:
    Light the woodburner a bit later
    Put breadmaker on
    Make chilli for dinner
    Work out this week's totals for the grocery challenge

Hope everyone is having a nice day :)
  • datlexdatlex Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    I have:
    Requested a payment from TopCashback to cover a Christmas present.
    Left the heating off (it is set on timer during the week whilst at work).
    Checked whether a couple of planned purchases are reduced in sales.
    Started to review bank accounts.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • GettingOrganisedGettingOrganised Forumite
    340 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi Dawn, thanks for starting us off. I'm having a 10 minute break from housework and thought I'd join in- quiet thread today.

My list:
    Walked to DD's swimming lesson
    Trip into town, had to drive as was collecting a large item reserved at @rgos. Got a £10 gift voucher to spend before Christmas with the purchase, which was an unexpected bonus.
    I can now officially say that I've finished my Christmas shopping - yeah that's got to be a first by the end of November. Just got to get on with wrapping now!
    Breakfast and dinner from stores- me and DD picked up something for lunch from pound bakery. Only a £2 spend and DD loves her little meal deal!
    Cleaned the bathroom (using minimal cleaning products)
    Hoovered and then cleaned the carpets in DD's room and the stairs and landing.
    5 loads of washing done - most on quick wash and 30 degrees. I don't normally have so much in the wash pile, but I've been washing the sofa covers over the last couple of days, which has put me a little behind on the clothes.

Still to do:
    Put all the sofa covers back on, now they are all dry.
    Make tea - chicken fajitas, which usually goes down well.
    I have some leftover cabbage which I'm going to prep for freezing, rather than throwing out.
    Do the ironing
    Clean and mop the kitchen when washing up after tea

Then, I'm going to relax! We're going to see War of the Worlds tomorrow at Manchester. My DB bought the tickets, so just money for travel, food and drink. We're going on the bus and checking out the Christmas markets and my brother has arranged transport home, so no expensive taxi's. Really looking forward to it, shame about work on Monday though!

Right, I've had a lot longer than I intended with writing this, so I need to get on. Bye for now :)
    SPC # 348 2014-£169.07/2015 - £156.89
    GC 2014 Feb-Dec £2931.62
    GC 2015 Jan £216.93/£220 Feb £291.97/£215 Mar £213.64/£220 Apr £207.62/£220
    DFBXmas2015 #40 - £3,474.61/£4,000
  • BobarellaBobarella Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi All
    Staggering in after my 10 hour shift. Not great really. A 10 minute break the whole day & nothing to eat from breakfast till 7pm. But I did make £12 in tips. Enough said.
    We had leftover chilli for dinner with some other new bits like garlic bread and salad.
    Husband bought some YS food in Tesco which will save us money on our day out tommorow.
    Checked my banking.
    Found 2p.
    Think that's it. Not much to report

night all.
    bob
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • twiggy86twiggy86 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Morning all!

Sorry I was quiet yesterday - don't feel like I sat down all day!

Cleaned the house yesterday - didn't managed to get the hoovering done though as Hoover was playing up, oh the joys of living in a building site! So I u jammed all the Hoover and cleaned the filter. Once that's dried I'll finish the housework.
    Two loads of washing done yesterday and dried on the line - well I hung it on the line but now its finishing off on the airers! Another load in now which I'll hang out once it's finished.
    Checked banks - didn't look healthy but OH gave me some money he owed me which I paid into the bank so looking better now!
    Ordered some Xmas decorations from tesco using my club card vouchers and the boost so only spent £1.50! Just need to get a tree now!
    Found 1p!!!!
    Did a shop in lidl yesterday - spent more than I hoped (still within budget though) but I did get stuff to stock the Christmas treats cupboard (hidden from OH who will otherwise eat it all!) might be going to the market to get some more meat from the butchers later - like to go right at the end as seem to get better discounts.
    Parents might be buying our tumble dryer today depending on whether the shops are still mental with all this Black Friday mayhem!

Happy Sunday!
    Starting again..
  • ellesbellesxxxellesbellesxxx Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi all.
    I need to get back in regular habit of posting as am determined to shift this family loan. We have 6300 of 8000 to go. We have been told that there is no rush, we can pay it when we can, but I would really like to get it down to less than 5000 in next year - preferably near 3000/4000!
    So today:
    *Meal plan for the week. DH away quite a bit so should be able to eat cheaply, then stock up freezer for him.
    *Tidy and clean house
    *Make a start on tidying garage
    *Washing/ironing
    *Relist items for sale, find some more! (things left over from our wedding that we could sell on/or that were unused in first place!)
    *Start Christmas cards/finish wedding thank you cards - send in same envelope!!!
    * Do invoices for tuition that I do. Last time, some parents paid late whereas I am making it very clear it needs to be my bank middle of Jan!
    *Check all bank accounts, update spreadsheets.

Hope you all have a great MSE day!!!
    :rotfl:
  • DD265DD265 Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hi all!

Friday and yesterday were pretty expensive (I got paid on Friday so did a food shop, christmas shopping etc) but I'm going for a NSD today.
    - do some washing (dry on airer)
    - work on craft projects
    - eBay listings
    - repair a pair of boots (lining worn out at heel)
    - all food cooked from home (already bought)
  • stiltoncheesestiltoncheese Forumite
    351 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    My weekend has been terrible in terms of achieving things so far :/

*I did pack my hospital bag for when I go into labour, so that's one thing. Managed to get the last few bits of toiletries for it in the sale so saved ,yself some money.
    *Someone was supposed to be collecting an item I sold yesterday but after saying they would, they still haven't been. Hoping it gets picked up today as it's another £10 to go in my pots. Will message them in a bit to check when they are coming.

Today I have already done, or will be doing the things I didn't finish yesterday, which is:

*NSD
    *Relist my stuff for sale again
    *B/L/D from stores all weekend, and sticking to the menu planner
    * Load of washing into machine and onto airer
    *Finish buying the last few Christmas presents on my list
    *Check online banking and update YNAB to show the Christmas fund pot as now empty (apart from last bit of cash saved to buy the Christmas food)

This weekend feels like it has flown by. Back on the overtime tomorrow night for 3 nights, which sucks but is good money-wise!

SC xx
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]D[FONT=&quot]ebt free since May 2015[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][/FONT][/FONT]
  • Good luck stilton cheese. Brings back lots of happy memories.

This weekend I got DD to go to attic and get down all the presents I wrapped and put away last jan after the sales. Whilst there she got down the tree and put it up, as she was in the mood! We have been grottoed.

Red cabbage and apple is simmering ready for freezer. discount stew is cooked and I am waiting for DS and D in L to come for tea. So farm a NSd apart from Mr T delivery.

Feeling that I need to clean ready for XMAS
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] PPR Forumite
    0 Posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    saturday i spent a fortune including my liver and a kidney whilst xmas shopping but its all done now even written all the cards...yahoooo
    made up for it sunday by staying in and not spending a single penny,I've saved a couple of quid every sunday this year by giving up sunday papers a saving of well over £100
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Check your Clubcard vouchers

Use our trick to extend them

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals