Switching Gas/Elec suppliers

Hi all

I've recently switched energy suppliers (NPower to Scottish Power) as the tariff I was on has come to an end and am wondering what happens next?

You see, I am in the process of repaying an overpayment to NPower. I contacted them a couple of weeks ago to ask what happens about the repayments and was told just to wait for the final bill to come through and then contact them to discuss 'repayment options'.

That final bill hasn't arrived yet.

I have checked my NPower account online this morning and see that it states 'Account Closed' and that my current balance with them is £380 in credit. I am assuming this credit would be used to reduce the outstanding amount of overpayment?

Comments

• hopperson wrote: »
    Hi all

I've recently switched energy suppliers (NPower to Scottish Power) as the tariff I was on has come to an end and am wondering what happens next?

You see, I am in the process of repaying an overpayment to NPower. I contacted them a couple of weeks ago to ask what happens about the repayments and was told just to wait for the final bill to come through and then contact them to discuss 'repayment options'.

I have checked my NPower account online this morning and see that it states 'Account Closed' and that my current balance with them is £380 in credit. I am assuming this credit would be used to reduce the outstanding amount of overpayment?

Why are you repaying something you claim to have already overpaid??? :huh:

On what date was the account closed?
  • Sorry - rather than 'overpaid' I should have said 'undercharged for'. I posted about this some time ago - basically we were undercharged for a number of months, NPower recalculated and increased our monthly DDs by 400%. I ended up arranging to pay the outstanding balance over a 2 year period.

The switchover date was 12/11/2014
  • hopperson wrote: »
    Sorry - rather than 'overpaid' I should have said 'undercharged for'. I posted about this some time ago - basically we were undercharged for a number of months, NPower recalculated and increased our monthly DDs by 400%. I ended up arranging to pay the outstanding balance over a 2 year period.
    Thanks

As you have been already advised by nPower, you need to wait for the final bill now.

You'll be expected to pay what is demanded (unless you have cause to dispute that amount).

If you would find that difficult, contact them as soon as you receive the final bill and try and sort something out. They may be able to help you a little, but don't expect it to be anything like over 2 years now you've elected to place your custom elsewhere.

hopperson wrote: »
    Thanks, but that wasn't the question ;)

I can't see how they would close the account unless it has a zero balance.
    Until they issue you a final bill (and bearing in mind you owe them a considerable amount of money) I expect they will continue to collect the usual monthly payments by DD.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Sorry - rather than 'overpaid' I should have said 'undercharged for'. I posted about this some time ago - basically we were undercharged for a number of months, NPower recalculated and increased our monthly DDs by 400%. I ended up arranging to pay the outstanding balance over a 2 year period.

So what did you mean by this part of your OP?
    ...I am assuming this credit would be used to reduce the outstanding amount of overpayment?

:huh:
  • hopperson
    hopperson Posts: 44 Forumite
    edited 29 November 2014 at 2:29PM
    I've look again at the Payment History on my NPower account and the account is in credit by £380.86 which INCLUDES the regular payments of £41.50 (to pay the amount we owe) + the £175 payments which are for normal usage. So the amount in Credit can't be used against the remaining balance of what I have to pay.

Date Activity Credits Debits Account balance
    03/11/2014 Payment 175.00 380.86 CR
    03/11/2014 Payment 41.50 205.86 CR

02/10/2014 Payment 175.00 152.36 CR
    02/10/2014 Payment 41.50 22.64 DR

02/09/2014 Payment 175.00 64.14 DR
    02/09/2014 Payment 41.50 239.14 DR

04/08/2014 Payment 175.00 280.64 DR
    04/08/2014 Payment 41.50 455.64 DR

Does that make more sense?
  • nPower
    nPower Posts: 1,319
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Organisation Representative
    Hi all

Hello hopperson,

Thank you for your post.

If you can send me your account details to the email address on my profile page I will chase up your final bill and balance.

Thanks

Carmel :)
    Official Company Representative"
    I am the official company representative of nPower. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
    If we ask you to contact us, please do so using helpandsupport@npower.com - MSE Forum has temporarily allowed the display of our contact details in our signature due to a technical issue with our profile
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I have just come to the end of my 14-day 'cooling-off' period and got an email from npower asking me to ring them 'to talk about finalising your gas and electricity account so we can make sure the transfer goes smoothly'.

Do I really need to do this, I'm assuming it's just so that they can give me a final sales pitch?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure