Tax credits over payment 2006-2011 = £7000

Good evening all,

Hoping for some advice please.

im a single parent with two children, I work 33 hours a week and am just making ends meet, my tax credit are paid weekly and on checking my account this week I notice my money had gone down by £40 pw, slightly confused I contacted the HMRC tax credit to see why my money had reduced again (overpayment 2013-14=reduction to repay over payment,now paid off) the call operator informed me thT the government had changed the rules on ANY overpayment made in previous years and they could now reclaim any monies owed( previously any claims that changed or ended could not be reclaimed)
To my horror the operator informed me that I owed £7000 from years 2006-2011, I informed her that I had no knowledge of such over payment non of the obvious letters or notices to suggest I owed such an amount, the operator informed me that all forms of debt collection had been exhausted and that is why my WTC had been reduced to recover the debt!!!!!
I am extremely frustrated as I have never received such letters debt or otherwise and it's not as if the HMRC doesn't have the means to contact me!!!!
I have asked the operator for proof of any letters to which she said she was unable to give me this information, and it wasn't until I mentioned freedom of information act that she was inclined to give me an address where I have to write and request the apparent documents, she said she can send me the award notices for the years in question but that is all,not very helpful at ALL.

I'm sorry to rant but I really am at a loss, goggle has not brought any light to my situation, please can anyone give an incline to what is going on, £7000 is a lot of money to suddenly owe.😥

Replies

• zagfleszagfles Forumite
    17.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Chutzpah Haggler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you still got your award notices for those years? Do they mention the overpayment?
  • I have requested the award notices for the years in question, I think I would have remembered the over payments, surely they would have taken them as they had done in previous years, when did this new law come into play?

Thanks
  • Eager_ElephantEager_Elephant Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had an Overpayment from 2008 that I knew nothing about until they started taking it last week.

When I rung the lady admitted that apart from the award notice and 1 notice to pay (which I am convinced I never received) sent in 2008 they have never sent me another letter despite me living in the same house all this time.
  • Lubilu82 wrote: »
    I have requested the award notices for the years in question, I think I would have remembered the over payments, surely they would have taken them as they had done in previous years, when did this new law come into play?

Thanks

The overpayments will be shown on the award notices, you don't need copies of anything else.

The only change that has happened is that they have the IT to allow them to recover old overpayments from new claims. The law has not changed, they have always had the power to do this, but they didn't because the IT system couldn't do it. It now can.

They would have had to contact you directly to get the money back before this change.

So it isn't actually a new law. Unlikely you can do anything about the overpayments now anyway - you are out of time for an appeal and a dispute. HMRC will have met their legal obligations providing they put the overpayments on the award notices.

IQ
  • So am I right in thinking that the over payments will be on the award notices relating to the years in question? As I mentioned I have had over payments in the past which I have always paid back once the annual reviews have been processed.

I still don't believe I have had any sort of correspondence relating to this overpayment, obviously if it is the case then I will suck it up and accept my fate, I'm just in shock that I've now got £7000 to pay back when things are hard enough..

Thanks to all.
  • Lubilu82 wrote: »
    So am I right in thinking that the over payments will be on the award notices relating to the years in question? As I mentioned I have had over payments in the past which I have always paid back once the annual reviews have been processed.

I still don't believe I have had any sort of correspondence relating to this overpayment, obviously if it is the case then I will suck it up and accept my fate, I'm just in shock that I've now got £7000 to pay back when things are hard enough..

Thanks to all.

Yes that''s right. The final award notice for each year has to show any overpayment (in year ones will as well but it is easier just to look at the final). You also should have received a notice to pay around 30 days after your claim ended.

IQ
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News