Thanks to those who participated in our 'Ask An Expert: Scams' event. Scam expert MSE Katie's video answers are available to watch on the board now.

Worrying

Evening everyone,

I'm not so much "in trouble" to start, but please hear me out.

I've been skimming over the MSE forums for a while, having posted earlier on in the year but losing touch. I gained a valuable bit of knowledge in what all this finance and money lark is about, but like i say, i lost touch and ended up very much worse off....

Long story short, I've had an ultimatum - Not from a partner or family as such, but from myself. I need to change my lifestyle and that's what i've been doing for the past few months.

I can't stop worrying about the future. I haven't done any numbers just yet as this post is more a search of comfort that "everything's going to be ok", but in Jan I'd hit a whole new scary world with debt and the like... The balances below are an estimate (without looking at the papers) to the nearest £10, and from the date of being active, not necessarily what I owe at this point in time:

Barclays Partner Finance: £1,976
24 monthly payments of £81.53
Active March 2014, payments began April 2014

Loan from Dad: £3,500
24 monthly payments of £150.00
Active January 2014, payments began February 2014

Hitachi Personal Finance: £3,400
24 monthly payments of £167
Active November 2014, payments begin December 2014

Those are the main unsecured debts that I have.

Other debts/ongoing costs:

Car Insurance: £108.67 (22yr old, 4yrs NCB, car valued at £300.... go figure....)

Car Tax: £20.18

Gym Membership: £29.00

Phone Contract: £Varies - £15-£20 in my experience so far

Subscription to Experian: £14.99

All above costs are what I pay a month.

Now I can manage, I am paid £1071 after tax/NI contributions, leaving me with approx £400 (to the nearest £100). The trouble is, I am struggling to cope with the fact I have approx £9,000 of unsecured debt (from active date)... And I want it gone, So I guess "debt free wannabe" is for me.

So the £400 I'm left with after servicing the unsecured debts I use (per month):

Petrol: £100
Groceries: £150

I don't treat myself to any luxuries as I can't afford them, else I have to skimp on the necessities mentioned above. As long as I have fuel in my car, and food in the fridge, I'm OK. But this leaves me with around £150 to myself for the rest of the month, for such things as tobacco (I smoke), beers (I like a tinny or two in the evening) etc etc.

I have £1,194.54 saved in my Halifax ISA.

I want this debt gone as soon as possible, so I'm just wondering what the best approach would be... I don't want this debt for the next two years as, with the way things are going at work, I probably might not have a job there much longer. I consider myself very new to this big big world of money, and I am just after a few pointers and some general comments to pool up some outside opinions and suggestions.

Thanks for reading :beer:

Replies

• hi there,

I would personally advise you to pay some of your debt off with your savings as having debt and savings is counterproductive.

I would pay the debt off with the most interest. do you need gym membership? walking/running is free. theres another 30 towards your debt. i would also cancel your experian membership which would give you another 15 towards your debt.

remember the more you pay towards your debt the more interest saved and so it snowballs and becomes less and less.

compare your car insurance online as well using money saving expert etc and make your getting the best deal

good luck :)
  • pmartin86pmartin86 Forumite
    724 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Are you able to overpay on either Barclays or Hitachi? What are the penalties (if any) for doing so? Are you able to negoteate a reduced/frozen payment to dad for a short period? The money in your ISA is costing you interest at the moment, your earning much less on it that you are likely paying in interest on Barclay and Hitachi, so take it out, and pay down debt.

Also, cancel the Gym, cancel experian, that's 44 quid a month wasted while your in debt.
  • moohoundmoohound Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Bin off Experian for a start, consider quitting the evil weed, hard at first but gets easier.

Is every car journey necessary? could you walk more perhaps?

Every time you start the engine it makes you poorer.

What are the APRs on the debts?
    ISA £1675 :DMiniMoohound savings £3685.86 :T Plus £3800 CTF :)
    'MrMoneyMuststache' my new hero, Martin Lewis my long time hero
    Poacher turned Gamekeeper
    Roadkill rebel No 52 Aug £1.34p Sept 24p Oct 5p Nov 5p Sealed pot Challenge No 403 £176.66(2014) :staradmin NOV NST No 20
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Debt-free and Proud!
    jimmy*c wrote: »
    Car Insurance: £108.67 (22yr old, 4yrs NCB, car valued at £300.... go figure....)

It's not that unusual.

Bear in mind, the premium isn't based around the loss of (or damage to) your car, but the potential damage to other people's cars (you could write off someone's brand new Veyron), and/or injury to other people.
  • MrWillyWonkaMrWillyWonka Forumite
    286 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    I think your insurance is rather high. When i was 22 my insurance was only half that with the same number of NCB. Although it depends on where you live and other factors but I really think its worth looking around to see if you can get a cheaper deal. If you end up potentially saving £50 a month then its probably worth cancelling half way through the current policy even with a charge. Oh, and third party is not always cheaper.

I know what you are going through though, we have our share of debt which is totally manageable on our wage but we just want it gone! Every penny counts and there is nothing better than seeing account after account close!

Post a SOA using this: http://www.stoozing.com/calculator/soa.php

People here will advise on what you can cut down on - you'll be surprised. Good luck.
  • poppasmurf_bewdleypoppasmurf_bewdley Forumite
    5.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Stop paying gym membership and Experian.

Cut out the cans of beer and the smoking.

Four things that are not essential and that you can and should do without.

At least you did mention the smoking. I have seen many, many SOA's on these forums and I don't think a single one has ever mentioned the dreaded weed in the expenditure column.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • CyrusCyrus Forumite
    109 Posts
    Here's what I would do if I was in your shoes.
    Evening everyone,

Barclays Partner Finance: £1,976
    24 monthly payments of £81.53
    Active March 2014, payments began April 2014
    Pay your £1194.54 from your ISA into this now which would leave £781.46

Loan from Dad: £3,500
    24 monthly payments of £150.00
    Active January 2014, payments began February 2014
    Nicely ask your Dad if you can pause the payments on this loan for 4 months

Hitachi Personal Finance: £3,400
    24 monthly payments of £167
    Active November 2014, payments begin December 2014
    Continue as normal for the moment.

Those are the main unsecured debts that I have.

I have £1,194.54 saved in my Halifax ISA.

So after you have payed your ISA savings into the Barclays you'll be left with £781.46

If you combine the £150 you pay your Dad with the £81.53 and pay that into the Barclays you can clear that debt in 4 months.

Once that's payed off you'll still be left with £3500 debt to your Dad and £2732 on the Hitatchi. It's up to you which debt you add the £81 to your monthly repayments.

And as others have said, scrap the gym and the experian for the moment.
  • McKneffMcKneff Forumite
    38.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Its easier said than done to stop smoking. I stopped 8 months ago, but I could still kill for one a couple of times a day.

OP are you using rollies, can you just cut down. I cant see a problem to you cutting the cans out though to be honest. If you cant, buy a big bottle and make it last a few nights.

Could you dad take £100 for now so you can throw more at the interest loans.

As others have said, bin the gym and Experian and throw everything at your debts.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • moohoundmoohound Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Stopping smoking is easy, staying stopped is harder, they were about £4 a pack when I stopped in 2001.

£8.47 (according to the TMA) is the average for 20 now.

£8.47 x 365 = £3091.55 a year for 20 a day.
    ISA £1675 :DMiniMoohound savings £3685.86 :T Plus £3800 CTF :)
    'MrMoneyMuststache' my new hero, Martin Lewis my long time hero
    Poacher turned Gamekeeper
    Roadkill rebel No 52 Aug £1.34p Sept 24p Oct 5p Nov 5p Sealed pot Challenge No 403 £176.66(2014) :staradmin NOV NST No 20
  • theoreticatheoretica Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

All above costs are what I pay a month.

So the £400 I'm left with after servicing the unsecured debts I use (per month):

Petrol: £100
    Groceries: £150

I don't treat myself to any luxuries as I can't afford them, else I have to skimp on the necessities mentioned above. As long as I have fuel in my car, and food in the fridge, I'm OK. But this leaves me with around £150 to myself for the rest of the month, for such things as tobacco (I smoke), beers (I like a tinny or two in the evening) etc etc.

You do have luxuries - especially if the food is for only one or two people. Do you need the car or is that a want too? Not saying you need to give your luxuries up, but I do think you should be grateful for them and appreciate what you are giving yourself.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 this Saturday

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals