Getting a Luton Body fitted to a Van..

Options
Not sure where to ask so again thought I'd ask here.

I've been looking for a 2007+ 16ft alloy Luton Iveco Daily or other van for sometime and never seem to have luck buying one before they get sold, I've missed 2 so far for the right price which is around 5k.

So I was thinking instead about the possibility of fitting a 16ft alloy Luton body to a long wheel base Iveco Daily Van that already has a small luton box or is a tipper (so is not a Panel van).

I've seen plenty of 16ft Luton bodies for sale around, but cannot seem to find anybody to fit it.

My budget is tight and everywhere I call seem to want to put a new one on for full price (so as much as a van costs itself). Yet I know people do and can get them swapped over

I'm on a fairly tight budget not because of greed but currently for lack of funds. Could anyone recommend anybody? I'm between Manchester and London, but would go anywhere in the country if it was within my budget.

Comments

• colino
    colino Posts: 5,059 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Find out where the local horsey set get their, "conversions" done. No doubt it will be two lummoxes working from a farmyard. It's easy, simple work, just needs a bit of thought for chassis extensions and additional mounting points to get them plated.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have you had a look to see if you can find the body you want on CoPart or similar, attached to a chassis that's had a front-end, or ring around breakers to see if there's anything on a time-expired or otherwise dead chassis.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,554 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If your budget is tight dont go for a conversion. The costs could end up
    coming in at a lot more than you originally thought.

Keep looking and move faster when they appear for sale.

A few on Autotrader for around that price.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• pfenig
    pfenig Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Have you had a look to see if you can find the body you want on CoPart or similar, attached to a chassis that's had a front-end, or ring around breakers to see if there's anything on a time-expired or otherwise dead chassis.

Getting the body isn't a problem as there are a few around, but even with one attached to a chassis I'd have to find someone to fit it. I'd also have to match that chassis to a van model.
    If your budget is tight dont go for a conversion. The costs could end up
    coming in at a lot more than you originally thought.

Keep looking and move faster when they appear for sale.

A few on Autotrader for around that price.
    There are many 13fters, I'm after a 16fter.

I've been very unlucky with the last two, literally a matter of hours and the first one minutes.

The budget cost so far is not the van or the body, it is the cost of getting someone to fit the body onto the chassis..
    Find out where the local horsey set get their, "conversions" done. No doubt it will be two lummoxes working from a farmyard. It's easy, simple work, just needs a bit of thought for chassis extensions and additional mounting points to get them plated.

This sounds like an excellent idea, I will follow this up, thanks colino.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure