PIN entered incorrectly - card locked

Options
pattycake
pattycake Posts: 1,577 Forumite
Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
I had a rush of blood to the head today and put the wrong PIN in 3 times on my Capital One Card. Blame it on hormones, I know the number really well but somehow.....................Anyway, the card is locked. My husband is the main cardholder, so will he have to ring them up for a new card? What happens now.

Such an idiot. (Me that is:confused: )

Comments

• ThankYouAndEnjoy!
    Options
    Unless im mistaken, cant you unlock you own PIN at your own Banks Cashpoint machines? - thought it was an option?

Otherwise, get H to contact the bank and request a new PIN, you shouldnt need a new card at all
    Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts - 1420 Days To Go!
    LBM: £103,592.98 / Currently £78,500.08 - Down 24.22% / Mortgage: £92,800.00 / Loan: £17,284.21 / Overdraft: £450.09 / C/Card 0%(October 08): £5,601.54 / C/Card 0% (January 09): £1075.22 / Child Care: £137.80
    Share Investments: £51,390.74 / Money Owed From GS: £5,812.61
  • pattycake
    Options
    Thank you for that. We are with NatWest. I will give it a go before I get him to contact Capital One. Luckily I have another card which I was able to use today and managed to actually remember the PIN. The sales have gone to my head.
  • jojo1978_3
    jojo1978_3 Posts: 1,432 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah, you just need to take your card and correct pin to a cashpoint and enter it, and pick the option to unlock pin.
    :)Henry James Born 18/03/2011-11 days late!:)

• James
    James Posts: 2,059 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    pattycake - lets hope your husband is never a victim of card fraud.

Keep it quiet, but you're supposed to keep your PIN secret.

Enoy the video. Click here.
  • realaledrinker
    realaledrinker Posts: 1,661 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    She has her own PIN number for her own card on the account where her OH is the account holder. No suggestion of pillow talk.

Can't you take up another hobby?
    Ethical moneysaver
  • pattycake
    Options
    I went to the NatWest cash point and inserted my Capital One credit card. It asked for the PIN which I entered correctly (this time!). The machine then said my credit card company would make a charge to take cash and did I wish to proceed. I entered no, obviously. My card was returned. Does this mean it is now unlocked? There was no option to unlock or change the PIN.
  • RTNI
    RTNI Posts: 817 Forumite
    Options
    pattycake wrote: »
    I went to the NatWest cash point and inserted my Capital One credit card. It asked for the PIN which I entered correctly (this time!). The machine then said my credit card company would make a charge to take cash and did I wish to proceed. I entered no, obviously. My card was returned. Does this mean it is now unlocked? There was no option to unlock or change the PIN.

No. The card will still be locked. You need to put the card in, enter the PIN, answer yes to that question, then on the menu, select PIN options, then PIN unlock. That will unlock the PIN.
    Regards, Robin.
    2011 MFW # 34
    Mortgage starting balance at Sept 09 - £127,224 on 30 year term. Currently balance approx £116,945 (Updated Jan '12)
    Estimated MFD - [STRIKE]Sept 2039[/STRIKE]
    , April 2031 (in progress!)
  • PBA
    PBA Posts: 1,521 Forumite
    Options
    Not all cash machines will let you unlock all cards. If Natwest is only offering to let you withdraw cash, try another bank's machine.
  • jojo1978_3
    jojo1978_3 Posts: 1,432 Forumite
    Options
    A word of advice, don't use a link machine, use a major high street bank machine. I used HSBC to do mine, it didn't ask me if i wanted to withdraw cash, it just went straight to the main menu screen where pin options was displayed.
    :)Henry James Born 18/03/2011-11 days late!:)

• pattycake
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies. I went to a Barclays' machine and a PIN menu was displayed. I selected Unlock PIN and now all is well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure