Savings for grandchildren not living in UK

I would like to open a savings account similar to the Halifax Kids regular saver(of which i am paying in and a trustee for 2 other grandchildren).
However , but my latest granddaughter lives in Rep of Ireland and the halifax have advised me that i cannot open a savings account for a child not resident in UK.
What options do i have - for good interest and not paying income and inheritance tax


  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Forumite Posts: 12,295
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Post of the Month
    If the child is living in Ireland, why not open the account in Ireland?
    And if your own non-residence of Ireland is problematic, simply have a parent or other family member over there be the trustee- wouldn't stop you contributing.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Forumite Posts: 43,220
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Consider a regular investment into an investment trust held in bare trust?It might produce better returns than cash over 18 years?


    You will notice from the FAQ that while the donor and trustees must be UK residents the child need not be.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Forumite Posts: 17,321
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    I don't recall being asked any info about residence of the children when opening the investment trust plan for my children. Might be worth investigating if that is suitable. You don't say ages but over the long term cash isn't likely to be the best option
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 340.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 448.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 232K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 603.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171.7K Life & Family
  • 245.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards