PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter V

Options

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Good list MrsL!
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I used to find that if I had dried peas, onions, carrots and potatoes with ham or pork stock cubes I could make a huge pot of pea and ham soup. Ideally I would have been using a ham hock but for days when it was icy and slippy it made a thick filling soup which DH loved. Especially if I used the breadmaker to make bread or rolls to go with it.

Things like lentils, canned tomatoes, pasta, rice, noodles, frozen veg were fantastically useful.

The family are delighted I have unearthed the breadmaker and am starting to use it again. I made two lots of pizza wheels in the last couple of days which were wolfed!

Don't forget things like cold cures, cough sweets, tissues, painkillers - anything that you don't want to go out in the cold or rain for.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • cornishchick
    Options
    Hi All.

Most winter preps all done.

I've been stocking up on Tom soup ( my go to comfort food) instant mash, and microwave rice. ( half a dozen packs of each ) perfect for if I just have no energy to cook . I might add a couple of the mug shots.

I've checked through the cold/flu box, all in date still , just needed some more tissues.

My main winter prep has been to rearrange the office!! Finally clearing a lot of my late hubbies bits, he liked to keep every bit of paper, Bill ect. I've replaced the small desk with a table and I'm claiming the space as my craft room where I can mess around in the winter . It's a small room, but with amazing light. And will be easy to keep warm in :)

Right off to gather up more of my arty stuff to put in the "craft room" :rotfl:
    today's mood is brought to you by coffee, lack of sleep and idiots.

Living on my memories, making new ones.
    declutter 104/2020

November GC £96.09/£100.
    December GC £00.00/£100
  • jim-jim
    jim-jim Posts: 127 Forumite
    Options
    Hello everyone, just to let you know. Marks & sparks have some thermal underwear reduced.

I've just got 6 vest tops for less than £10 with free c&c.

They have ladies, mens and kids.

Had these before and they are very warm but not bulky under clothes.

Hope this helps some one

x
  • Snorkypants
    Options
    jim-jim, thanks for the heads up - I've just ordered 2 thermal vests for £2.99! But I couldn't see any in the kids - possibly just the age range I was looking in though.
  • Si_Clist
    Si_Clist Posts: 1,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Good job I checked out this thread for the first time in ages last week! 25kg of lovely organic spelt grain now in the big bin ready for milling into fresh flour as and when, and the mill checked over and oiled this morning. Got 10 tins of dried yeast a while back when they were on offer, so we're now OK for bread and cakes until next year.

Now to read further back and see what else we should be organising ...
    A positive attitude won't solve all your problems, but with luck it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.
  • Shropshirelass
    Options
    I'm afraid I'm a lurker here but do enjoy following, and planning for a cosy winter at home.
    Just wanted to record that sitting in the garden this lovely afternoon, we saw for the first time this year a flight of about twenty geese from the local mere starting their 'autumn practice'. They went overhead honking and clacking, so low we could hear their wings beating. Quite a thrill. They practice for weeks, then disappear for the worst of the cold weather.
    Bought a frozen duck yesterday ready for Christmas - not sure where we will be this year as OH is listed for a knee replacement, so we may be at home, although it should be an 'away' Christmas for us.
    I need to plan for both and all possibilities!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    we've just ordered in a full load of logs which will be delivered on Monday morning for £110 which is the same price for the same sized load that we were paying 5 years ago. Boiler is being serviced one day next week too and the sweep comes at the end of the month so we'll be ready to light the stove when the colder weather comes. We've also this summer had the extension roof redone and new weatherproofing put in along with 200mms extra of insulation giving us 300mm altogether which should help us stay nicely warm too.
  • nik0510
    nik0510 Posts: 73 Forumite
    Options
    Just started reading back on this thread, Mrs LW, could you pm me the contacts for the logs as I live in Southampton and think I might be fairly near to you, thank you. We are having a woodburner installed the middle of October, so excited, its been a hard slog saving up but got there x.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi NIK have pm'd you with a couple of local suppliers details, Lyn.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback