PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter V

Options

Comments

• UnluckyT
    UnluckyT Posts: 486 Forumite
    Options
    Sainsbury stores have tins of soup reduced, bought a fair few, well in date (a good year on the date) and plan to get more.
    Will need to plan and prep for winter.
  • mrs_motivated
    mrs_motivated Posts: 1,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Not done a lot of prepping yet, although I have had the boiler serviced which I am determined to do annually even though its not very old. I've also started christmas shopping. Currently looking for a cosy brushed cotton bedding set for DD2.
    Well Behaved women seldom make history

Early retirement goal... 2026

Reduce, reuse, recycle .
  • Lucy5781
    Lucy5781 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We actually got toilet roll and kitchen roll to be stored in the cupboard under the stairs today :eek:

Though that had more to do with baby being due next week lol
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ :eek: [STRIKE] Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023 [/STRIKE]
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014 :T
    30/09/19 - Details now dropped off debt register. :o

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
  • pollys
    pollys Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    How exciting Lucy, my baby is going into Year 10. Loving reading about all the food preps. Thank you for sharing.
    The garden shed now has two lovely new coats of paint, it looks much better. The garage is a work in progress but the parts that have been given their first coat, look good.
    Youngest DS needs new wellies, we have a stock of wellies but he has caught up in size with his older brothers. The outgrown ones will be passed on.

Happy prepping

Polly
    MFW 1/5/08 £45,789 Cleared mortgage 1/02/13
    Weight loss challenge. At target weight.
  • tiredmum2
    tiredmum2 Posts: 285 Forumite
    Options
    Just come back to this thread it was lots of help last year and although it was a mild winter i need to make sure we are ready again this year. So today i will go through the meds cupboard and see what needs to be replaced. I also need to find someone to clean the conservetory roof as i dont have a long enough pole .
  • Si_Clist
    Si_Clist Posts: 1,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    We checked everything in the BOB this morning and replaced anything with less than a year's date on it, particularly the essential meds, and the last of the climbing French beans for drying are being hung up in the greenhouse as I type ...

Logs delivered in May, both chimnies swept in June, both logburners checked and re-sprayed last month, I've treated myself to an expensive pair of waterproof socks for use if needed in very cold and wet weather on account of my chilblains, and the stash of charity shop jigsaws to ward off cabin fever now stands at 17.

Waiting for a money-off coupon to come so we can do a big (by our standards!) stock-up supermarket shop, but I've just checked our stash of 50p-a-tin Ambrosia custard which we can't survive a winter without and I reckon 132 tins should do us nicely :D

Off now to update the to-do list when I've read through more of this thread!
    A positive attitude won't solve all your problems, but with luck it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    You're as bad as me. My vice is Sainsburys Basic custard, 20p a tin. I have a whole cupboard full lol
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Keep an eye on those Elderberries Fuddle - the ones round here have already started drying out.

I found a local(ish) farm shop that now sells logs, so had 2 loads delivered and stacked back in June, the company are in partnership with a local college and provide jobs to young men with Downs syndrome so we were more happy to spend our money with a local company who are providing an invaluable service. 6 workers turned up to unload the lorry and we had a lovey stacked log pile within half an hour....it's a thing of beauty! Found a national coal merchant that were offering a very good deal, I contacted them via FB to ask if there was any upcoming deals and was told there wasn't but they'd chuck in some kindling and firelighters to my order! Result.

Need a new pair of winter boots for me but will leave that a bit longer, I did get some new walking boots which will be idea for any weather but I'd like something a bit smarter for wearing with skirts.

Need to get DD2 a winter car kit sorted - she has her driving test tomorrow (keep those fingers crossed). She works within the village so doesn't need to drive for work but her boyfriend is 30 miles away through little country lanes so it would be sensible to get her to put her kit together so she knows what she's got.

Must get the chimney swept!!!!!!
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,149 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Chimney being swept as I speak, and I've found out that the same company will install the flue for the reconditioned AGA I want to have installed.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Every time I do the weekly shop at this point in the year I buy some Powdered Skimmed Milk, a tin of meat corned beef/stewed steak/ham/Pek pork etc, a couple of tins of fruit, a couple of tins of veg, some packs of instant mash and if I have spare cash or there is something on offer at the right price I will buy crackers, peanut butter, cuppasoups, instant custard, tins of evaporated milk, packs like Mug Shots of pasta in a mug type snacks, chocolate bar packs on offer, really whatever is best value. By the time we do get to the colder months I'm ready for those times when the weather or being poorly happen so I can make acceptable food from things in the house, it's peace of mind territory!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback