How to arrange a council funeral

Options
I am in the unhappy position of being a bereaved relative. The deceased lived alone, on benefits, in rented accommodation, no other friends or relatives to take charge at this sad time. I live 200 miles away.

The funeral will be not attended by anyone except me.

We have no money to pay a funeral director, and i have a vague thought that the local council will take over in situations like this.

Can someone advise please?

Comments

• kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,856 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That is so sad. Sad enough to make me shed a silent tear of two.

RIP.....
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • g6jns_2
    g6jns_2 Posts: 1,214 Forumite
    Options
    Beenie wrote: »
    I am in the unhappy position of being a bereaved relative. The deceased lived alone, on benefits, in rented accommodation, no other friends or relatives to take charge at this sad time. I live 200 miles away.

The funeral will be not attended by anyone except me.

We have no money to pay a funeral director, and i have a vague thought that the local council will take over in situations like this.

Can someone advise please?
    The local authority are legally obliged to pay if nobody else is able to do so. They may try to apply pressure to wriggle out of their responsibility but tell them firmly that you are not able to pay. You have no legal obligation to pay.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Be aware that you will have no choice about the date or time of the funeral.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • g6jns_2
    g6jns_2 Posts: 1,214 Forumite
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    Be aware that you will have no choice about the date or time of the funeral.
    LA's can be quite helpful if asked in advance.
  • bongonaut
    Options
    If the person died in hospital and there is no-one able to take responsibility for paying for their funeral, then arrangements would usually be made by the hospital authority rather than the local council.

The council would deal with funeral arrangements for someone who died elsewhere (but still in their local area).
  • Beenie
    Beenie Posts: 1,633 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm getting what I think is the 'runaround' by the council health department. They have told me that i can get advice about undertakers from the hospital bereavement office. That wasn't my question though - i explained that the deceased had no assets, no family capable or willing to pay.

Can anyone advise me re. Better wording? I was thinking along the lines of 'miss X has died and her body can be collected from the mortuary at Y hospital.'

Does that sound too abrupt - and if so, how would others phrase the request? Better still, is there a specific statute that I can quote?
  • G6JNS
    G6JNS Posts: 563 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm getting what I think is the 'runaround' by the council health department. They have told me that i can get advice about undertakers from the hospital bereavement office. That wasn't my question though - i explained that the deceased had no assets, no family capable or willing to pay.

Can anyone advise me re. Better wording? I was thinking along the lines of 'miss X has died and her body can be collected from the mortuary at Y hospital.'

Does that sound too abrupt - and if so, how would others phrase the request? Better still, is there a specific statute that I can quote?
    Speak to the hospital. They will arrange the funeral if the LA will not. Don't be pressured to pay. You have no legal obligation to do so. Don't talk to funeral director.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

If the person died in hospital, it's up to the hospital to arrange the cremation, not the council.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure