Electoral Roll

Options
Guys,

My girlfriend was refused an M&S credit card and they sent her a letter saying it was because of her credit rating. We thought this to be excellent so we got an experian report to see what the problem was. We've just checked and it claims she is not on the electoral roll, that's the only issue, which I guess in one sense is really good news and a relief.

What doesn't make sense though is that she was picked for jury service about a year ago, which as I understand it is based on the electoral roll, also she's not moved or anything since then.

We've applied for her to be added, however from Googling it seems this can take ages, 6-8 weeks sometimes and longer if you apply during this time of year. Is that correct?

Is there any way to speed this up? Especially as we're convinced she was/is on it.

Does this mean that she cannot get credit card or mortgage until she is on the roll? I've read it could take as long as March or April for this to happen? That sounds crazy.

If anyone can give any advise that would be much appreciated
Thanks.

Comments

• orangeslimes
    orangeslimes Posts: 470 Forumite
    edited 23 November 2014 at 9:30PM
    Options
    I don't show up as on the electoral roll on my credit report either, although I am. I think this is probably because they are using a different flat number than the Royal Mail. Might that be the problem?

I have written to the local valuation board who are sending a letter confirming I am on the electoral roll- I will forward this to the credit agencies and hopefully that will fix it.

Maybe your girlfriend should do something similar. Find out whether she is on the electoral role, and then if she is send the evidence to the credit agencies. Might still take a few weeks though, but not months.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    osaddict wrote: »
    We thought this to be excellent so we got an experian report to see what the problem was. We've just checked and it claims she is not on the electoral roll, that's the only issue,

Lenders set their own criteria. The reference to CRA files is merely a way of declining an application without giving detailed reasons.

Electoral roll registration is a key part of obtaining credit these days. Registering every year is important.
  • Experian_company_representative
    Experian_company_representative Posts: 2,134 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    osaddict wrote: »
    Guys,

My girlfriend was refused an M&S credit card and they sent her a letter saying it was because of her credit rating. We thought this to be excellent so we got an experian report to see what the problem was. We've just checked and it claims she is not on the electoral roll, that's the only issue, which I guess in one sense is really good news and a relief.

What doesn't make sense though is that she was picked for jury service about a year ago, which as I understand it is based on the electoral roll, also she's not moved or anything since then.

We've applied for her to be added, however from Googling it seems this can take ages, 6-8 weeks sometimes and longer if you apply during this time of year. Is that correct?

Is there any way to speed this up? Especially as we're convinced she was/is on it.

Does this mean that she cannot get credit card or mortgage until she is on the roll? I've read it could take as long as March or April for this to happen? That sounds crazy.

If anyone can give any advise that would be much appreciated
    Thanks.

Hi osaddict

This is a good question and orangeslimes is right, it could down to the formatting of the address which caused your girlfriends Electoral Roll information not being displayed on the Credit Report.

If registered after 18 August, this information will be included in the Annual Canvass. Please be aware that this will be updated once the records are published by the relevant local authority and will be complete by 1 January 2015.

When looking to obtain credit such as a mortgage or credit card, by providing the lender with the Electoral Resignation Number from the local council to prove that she is registered, as you’ve mentioned you are convinced that she is or previously was on registered if your girlfriend wanted to contact us to establish the reason why the information is no longer showing on her credit report.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards
    James Jarvis
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of Experian. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"

Posts by James Jones, Neil Stone, Stuart Storey & Joe Standen
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport