Pupil makes £14k selling sweets in the playground

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Boost Your Income
15 replies 2.4K views
HantsmanHantsman Forumite
95 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Boost Your Income
http://www.itv.com/news/granada/update/2014-11-21/pupil-explains-how-hes-made-14k-in-the-playgorund/

I'm interested to see what people think of this story, he employed two friends and apparently wants to put the money towards his university fees, but the school is threatening to suspend him.

What do people think?
12K in 2017 No.029: £7154.37/ 18,000 (40%)
£80,000 by Jan 2017: £81419.91/ £80,000 Achieved 01/10/2016!
£100,000 by Jan 2018: £92360.46/£100,000 (92%)

Replies

• Southend1Southend1 Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good on him!
  • shopaholiczshopaholicz Forumite
    756 Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭
    Next Alan Sugar?
    I love a bargain. Now mortgage and debt free. hurray!!:smileyhea
  • SailorSamSailorSam Forumite
    22.8K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw him on Tv the other day, he'd been kicked out of one school already for doing the same thing, hasn't he.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • He's Smart, ingenious, thinking about his future, planning ahead, MoneyWise and sensible at saving. All good however, I can see that the school would think he's taking advantage of the children. I also know some schools don't sell sweets themselves (at tuck shop) to prevent poor eating habits. It's a difficult situation.
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Good for him for having the imagination to do it... However, the school has a strict policy where no energy drinks, isotonic drinks and other naughty food or drinks are allowed. It would serve him well to learn that rules DO need to be followed often in life.
  • lessonlearnedlessonlearned Forumite
    13.3K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My friends boy did the same thing over 30 years ago, even his teachers ended up buying snacks from him.

He's now a multi millionaire.

Most entrepreneurs start their first business whilst still at school. Apparently Richard Branson would buy up yesterday's cakes and sell them in the school playground.
  • He could make a lot more than that selling heroin.
  • libra10libra10 Forumite
    15.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw the interview on Granada, and applaud the boy's entrepreneurial skills.

He was interviewed along with his parents, and when questioned about the unhealthy sweets and treats he sells, it was stated that the school tuck shop also sells many treats of a similar nature.

Watch out Richard Branson!
  • WizzbangWizzbang Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭
    He has all the hallmarks of a true entrepreneur and I hope someone takes him under their wing and mentors him! He has already thought outside of the box with this idea and taken the risk of running with it. All he needs to do now is 'obey' the rules by not selling the contraband on the school premises, but to kids on the way to and from school. He has experienced the first major challenge to his business model. If he really has got what it takes, his business won't die here.
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £36,546.45

• I did seen the article yesterday.

Personally I think it is good for him to get the money to pay for the university. I reckon people in his age would usually use that money for cigs/alcohol or anything wasteful etc. I don't think the school should be punishing him though. Clearly the lad has a bright mind and he has seen an opportunity. Even Dragon's Den Theo Paphitis have seen the news and is encouraging/supporting him.

However if the school has a healthly eating, in theory he shouldn't be trading on the school grounds, however that won't stop him from doing it outside of school though.:D

Regarding uni fees. He only has to pay if he earns over £25K a year, which i believe he will be able to do. However on the small-chance that he doesn't, he shouldn't be paying the fees straight away. For one, you don't get interest on it. two, after 30 years it gets written off if he hasn't paid.

Other than that, good on the lad. :money:
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides