Credit Rating Question

Options
I have had a default on my credit file for a while now that goes back to a mistake I made when I was young and stupid. Anyway after a while I was tracked down and agreed a settlement plan. My question though is that the account originally defaulted in October 2009 which as far as I am aware means it will be off my credit file in October 2015 which is less than a year away now. The confusion though comes in August of this year it appears that the debt was sold to a new debt recovery company. I have not received any notification of this other than changes to my credit file, I am however living at a different address now though so they would struggle to get in contact anyway. Payments are still being made as per the agreement to the old company.

So what I would like some feedback/advice regarding is what should I do if anything about it. The account is showing that it defaulted in August 2014 on my credit file, is this correct? Can the default date change because it is now with a different company? Should I do anything or just wait it out the next 11 months till it is gone anyway. Finally should I keep the payments up or should I stop them? I do not want the payment amounts to change if possible which is why I am hesitant about contacting the new company but do not know where I stand in on the matter.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    They are not allowed to change the actual original "default date" as that would prelong how long it stays on your file for and be completely inaccurate.

It's not clear exactly what they have done from your post though.

(a) Have they changed the actual original default date as recorded?

(b) Or have they just just been updating the report with a D or 8 every month in the status history, or a last updated date?

(a) as said is not permitted.

(b) is just routine on a unsettled account, and is OK.

DAZh4rW.png
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • RedBarman
    Options
    It still says the original default date. It is confusing hough as there is nothing in the months prior to August but I guess this is because it is with a new company now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure