Declined for loan?

Options
Hello
I need to find out if I have been declined for a personal loan in the last 10 years as part of a security check but i cannot remember if I have or not. I have checked my credit report on Noddle and Check My File (which includes Callcredit and Equifax) and neither seems to show if I have applied and/or have been declined for a personal loan (although it doesn't appear to be all that clear). Would this information show on a credit report or will I need to find this information some other way and if so, how? Thanks.

Comments

• Hazzinho
    Hazzinho Posts: 742 Forumite
    Options
    What securing check asks if you've been rejected for a loan? Credit reports don't show rejections. Searches only stay on for 1 year except for Callcredit which is 2 years.
  • SPP11
    Options
    My husband has to take part in DBS National Security Vetting which requires detailed financial history of you and your partner.
  • Hazzinho
    Options
    Just put no, there is no way they'll know even if you had, who remembers financial info for 10 years.
  • maas
    maas Posts: 512 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    What level of clearance is required? Is it Developed Vetting?
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,998 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hazzinho wrote: »
    What securing check asks if you've been rejected for a loan? Credit reports don't show rejections. Searches only stay on for 1 year except for Callcredit which is 2 years.

Might be wrong as it's been a year or 2 but SC clearance (for MOJ/MOD and others) makes you dig out all sorts of stuff, all about discovering if you could be bribed to give information out (e.g. if you were in financial issues and someone said they would help if you could just give them something in return). I had to dig out parent's PLACE of birth, let alone date as well as stuff on financial history
  • BlondBoy
    BlondBoy Posts: 186 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hazzinho wrote: »
    Just put no, there is no way they'll know even if you had, who remembers financial info for 10 years.

This is really bad idea for security vetting. You'd be surprised how much they may already know.

To the OP - I think it's likely your husband looking at Developed Vetting (the highest and most detailed level).

If you're not sure, just say exactly that. If you think you have been declined, equally say exactly that.

They're looking for trustworthiness. A declined loan application is no reason in itself for someone to fail DV. But lying about it is.

Just tell them the truth, whatever it is...
  • SPP11
    Options
    I have spoken with my bank, with one of the credit reference agencies (Check My File, which checks Call Credit and Equifax) and a couple of lenders I have taken loans out with and they have no record of me ever being declined a loan. However, the credit reference agency has informed me that searches (a check for applications that have been accepted and declined) are often only kept on record for a year or two.
    Is thare anywhere I can find out if I have been declined a loan for sure? I'm worried about ticking the 'No I have not been decline a loan' box if perhaps I have in the past. Yet if I tick the 'Yes I have been declined a loan' box I need to give details and I do not have these. There's no box to tick that covers a 'Maybe' option.
    Many thanks
  • Hazzinho
    Options
    This is what I was saying there is no record of rejections just a search, it's a daft check as it means nothing especially after 10 years. If you don't remember a rejection then you'll have to select no, perhaps include all the checks you've performed on a separate piece of paper so they know you did all the checks you could.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Theres too many lenders to start contacting, I would say not sure as BlondBoy says.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure