MBNA Missing first statement - anyone else?

Options
This just happened to me and I wondered if anyone else had had a similar experience.

I took out a Virgin Atlantic Amex with MBNA and I am absolutely convinced I never received my first statement.

I just received my second statement to find a late payment charge for £12 on it plus interest and, when I called up to find out what happened, I was told it was my responsibility to make a monthly payment whether or not I received a statement and that it's not their obligation to deliver the statement to me. I was also told that by not making a payment I forfeited any promotional rate that I had got when I took out the card.

This doesn't bother me too much as I usually pay everything off in full and I do accept that everything I was told is true and as stated in the T&Cs. But it also struck me that if all new customers' first statements 'go missing in the post', it's a very easy way of a) getting a £12 late fee off every new customer, b) getting the interest on that first statement and c) forcing them to forfeit their promotional rate - plus it's all legal, as the T&Cs obviously state that you have to pay whether or not you receive a statement.

As you can see from my site name, I'm a journo, but primarily I'm interested in this from a personal perspective so I'm not looking for case studies or anything, just wondering if this had happened to anyone else or if this is a well known practise?

Comments

• moneyuser
    moneyuser Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I remember a post a while ago and the exact same thing happened.
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    If you are on special rates they will revoke them if you miss a payment, you will need to ring and explain and they will put you back on that rate, you only get one chance with them
  • newspaperfeature
    Options
    They actually agreed to refund the late payment charge as I threatened to pay off the balance there and then and cancel my card.

I'm not overly fussed about the promotional rate because I will make sure I check the balance and pay it off every month online now.

It just really smelled like a scam, especially now moneyuser mentions recalling a similar post...
  • No_6
    No_6 Posts: 835 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Your obviously online,
    So why didn't you check your statement online,
    why not make your payment online ?
    if you had checked 'online' once a week, you wouldn't
    have missed your statement !

!

• Spark
    Spark Posts: 817 Forumite
    Options
    No_6 is right, you should check your online accounts at least once a week, if only to make sure that no fraudulent transactions have been made on your cards, and at the same time check for your next payment date.
  • newspaperfeature
    Options
    I'm not disputing that I've made a mistake here; yes I probably should have checked online. But to be honest, I think I probably behaved like 90% of the population would have done in the same situation. What I'm really interested in is the extent to which the credit card company profits from that situation and whether it's a situation they actually engineer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure