2 years debt free and 0 credit

Options
I am having real difficulty obtaining credit even from the vulture lenders.

My credit history:
around £3,000 in bad debt amounted around 6 + years ago. All paid 2 years ago
full time, private tenant
38,000 p/a
a few thousand in savings
working full time 2+ years

Declined lease on car 2 years ago
Declined higher rate CC from my bank a month ago
Declined by aqua (my old credit card, always paid in full) today

I'm trying to save for a mortgage but there's little point if I can't even get a credit card. I also would benefit from a credit card mostly for travel when I prefer to protect my purchases.

My bank refuse to explain why they won't give me credit, they just turn to experian. last time I used experian my score was 888.

Could my old debt still be haunting me now? Perhaps because I paid it that brought my debt back up to date and more relevant to a lender? Do I have to wait another 4 years?

What can I do?

I Appreciate any information that could help.

Thanks

Ty

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm trying to save for a mortgage but there's little point if I can't even get a credit card.

My bank refuse to explain why they won't give me credit, they just turn to experian. last time I used experian my score was 888.

Never pointless to save. Particularly to buy your own home. Divorce a credit card from saving in your mind.

Score is worthless. What matters is what your history tells a potential lender.
  • thebritishbloke
    Options
    Try for a Vanquis card.
    Credit 'Score' - Don't buy the credit 'score' that Experian, Equifax and Noddle want to sell you. It's an arbitrary number that means nothing when it comes to applying for credit.

ALWAYS HAVE A DIRECT DEBIT SET UP FOR THE MINIMUM PAYMENT ON YOUR CREDIT CARDS, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER YOU PLAN TO LOGIN AND PAY EACH MONTH.
  • teffers
    teffers Posts: 698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think the key is to get copies of your Credit Reference File from each of the Credit Reference Agencies.

That way you will know what the lenders see, not the imaginary score :)
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,906 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    whats on your actual report, also were any debts with any of the aboves group
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure