We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Can a NHS dentist just remove me from their list!?

Options

Comments

• littlerock
    littlerock Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    sounds like op has ongoing issues with facial pain around teeth which are proving difficult to diagnose and is clutching at possibilities. I had lot of problems with cracked and broken rear teeth but only recently came across a dentist who identified I ground my teeth and had worn them down over the years. no one else ever mentioned it not even the Harley street I guy I saw about a cracked rear molar who just recommended extract and replace with implant. maybe start again with new dentist ?
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    littlerock wrote: »
    sounds like op has ongoing issues with facial pain around teeth which are proving difficult to diagnose and is clutching at possibilities. I had lot of problems with cracked and broken rear teeth but only recently came across a dentist who identified I ground my teeth and had worn them down over the years. no one else ever mentioned it not even the Harley street I guy I saw about a cracked rear molar who just recommended extract and replace with implant. maybe start again with new dentist ?

I'd started my reply before this was posted - but it took a while to write!!

This is exactly the sort of thing I was referring to - an undiagnosed tooth grinding habit can be responsible for a lot of problems.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • JasonBat
    JasonBat Posts: 1,761 Forumite
    Options
    littlerock wrote: »

I would not rule out any possibility of that however my lower incisors do not meet with my upper incisors. The pain seems to be emanating (quite specifically at times) from my upper right 1 and 2 region (the site where these teeth were extracted when I was around 12 years old and where all foreign bodies were allegedly recently removed).

This said, the pain does sometimes feel more general in my upper right jaw and there are seemingly no signs of grinding but I may be wrong.
  • JasonBat
    Options
    brook2jack wrote: »
    If it was paper copies of the x ray then those will often look very different re contrast etc as the ink in the printer may be running out etc. paper copies are fine for rough information , for detail consultants normally ask for info to be sent via a disc or e mail.

Also strange that the consultant in question never requested such a copy and has still not requested it.
  • Toothsmith
    Options
    JasonBat wrote: »
    May be so but one would also hope in all the consultations (circa 40 odd over the years) with the senior consultant that this would have been raised.

That's what I was asking. Has it been discussed/investigated?

I'm presuming not from the reply.
    How to find a dentist.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
  • JasonBat
    Options
    Toothsmith wrote: »
    That's what I was asking. Has it been discussed/investigated?

I'm presuming not from the reply.

Not to my knowledge. Maybe it should have been? Presumably I would be aware of some sort of grinding?
  • Toothsmith
    Options
    JasonBat wrote: »
    Not to my knowledge. Maybe it should have been? Presumably I would be aware of some sort of grinding?

Not always. Especially if you've been doing it for years.

I've had one or two patients who have needed a fair bit of convincing that their aches & pains are down to this - but when you've eliminated other stuff, or if there are some obvious signs - even though not obvious to the patient - then treating it becomes the thing to do (Which is why you need trusting patients even when they don't always believe you!).

When their symptoms then disappear quite quickly - they think you are a miracle worker!

I'm not saying your pain is due to this. I couldn't possibly begin to guess via the internet. But it is worth asking if it has been considered at any point.
    How to find a dentist.
  • JasonBat
    Options
    Toothsmith wrote: »
    Not always. Especially if you've been doing it for years.

I've had one or two patients who have needed a fair bit of convincing that their aches & pains are down to this - but when you've eliminated other stuff, or if there are some obvious signs - even though not obvious to the patient - then treating it becomes the thing to do (Which is why you need trusting patients even when they don't always believe you!).

When their symptoms then disappear quite quickly - they think you are a miracle worker!

I'm not saying your pain is due to this. I couldn't possibly begin to guess via the internet. But it is worth asking if it has been considered at any point.

Okay, thanks. I'll ponder on that. This may not be all down to one thing and one thing alone so I've got an open mind.
  • JasonBat
    Options
    FBaby wrote: »
    It would be very very silly of them to deny there is something left there if indeed they think it is the case as they would know it would only take you going to another dentist to highlights the negligence that could only lead to much more trouble for them then if they acknowledged it now.

I think he would quite easily argue that he, the consultant, acted responsibly and properly in these circumstances. They could argue the interpretation of the x-ray is subjective and not totally reliable.

He would also probably argue that there was no pus or signs of inflammation (which he even argued prior to taking out an infected foreign body) prior the MRI scan.

I'm not sure how he is going to explain away the swollen facial muscle muscle but may even lean towards to tooth grinding scenario (which he made no mention of before).
  • Toothsmith
    Options
    You make a few mentions of these 'foreign bodies' Jason.

One or some of which seem to have been removed - some of which you think are still there. What do you think these bodies are? What did the ones removed turn out to be?

If they're bits of root left from previous extractions - they're not exactly 'foreign' - they're still bits of you. If they're old bits of filling material then they are indeed 'foreign'.

Both retained roots and filling debris are usually no trouble - although occasionally they can cause problems.
    How to find a dentist.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure