We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Wrong name on Electoral Roll in my Credit report

Options
manc
manc Posts: 61 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 22 November 2014 at 3:29AM in Credit file & ratings
I've just got a new copy of my credit report from Check My File and I've realised that in the electoral roll section a previous tenant of the flat I'm in appears. I have the same first name as them- but they moved out a year before i moved in and I have no connection to them whatsoever.
I'm just worried because when we first moved in we had a lot of debt letters for this person - and I'm scared I may be somehow being linked to them!

Is that the case?

And how do I get him removed from being associated with me/from being on my file? Is it the electoral roll people I just need to talk to? Or do i need to inform the credit agencies too?

Thanks
Debt Total Oct 2007 £19,750
Finally Debt Free June 17th 2013!!!

Comments

• manc
    Options
    So further to this - in the electoral roll section it has my details and that i'm registered since March 2014 on the roll by CallCredit, Experian and Equifax.

But immediately above it is this other person from 2011, reported on the electoral roll by Experian. But nothing for Callcredit. When I look at the summary of my credit report- Callcredit states that I'm not registered on the roll which could affect my rating...even though it says I am and this other person isn't!
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's unlikely that the previous tenant is still on the electoral roll a year after moving out. To achieve that they would have needed to falsely complete a renewal and that would have been done initially by a letter sent to the property while you were living there, so they would never have received that invitation. You could check the electoral registration office at your council but should expect no record of the other person any more.

It isn't uncommon for credit reference agencies to have invalid links. Just let Experian know and ask them to remove the outdated information. Call Credit will probably pick up your details when the main annual renewal work is completed, so probably visible in your credit report by the end of January, perhaps sooner.
  • Hazzinho
    Options
    Get your £2 reports from Experian and Equifax and your free one from Noddle (Callcredit). Check my file is a waste of money, I wouldn't pay attention to it, go directly to the source.
  • manc
    Options
    jamesd wrote: »
    It isn't uncommon for credit reference agencies to have invalid links. Just let Experian know and ask them to remove the outdated information. Call Credit will probably pick up your details when the main annual renewal work is completed, so probably visible in your credit report by the end of January, perhaps sooner.
    Thanks.
    How do I go about letting them know to remove it?
    I'm going to speak to the council on Monday to make sure they have the correct details.

I usually get my free report from noddle but got a free month on check my file so tried it- and this is this only place I'd seen this other name appear.
  • Experian_company_representative
    Experian_company_representative Posts: 2,134 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Manc,

Our contact details can be found here. As voters roll information is recorded without a date of birth, if the previous residents name is similar it can sometimes be retrieved on the report.

Once the annual canvas is completed the previous resident should be closed off on the voters roll at the address. The annual register should be published in December and we expect the updates to appear on reports by January.

Kind Regards
    Neil
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of Experian. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"

Posts by James Jones, Neil Stone, Stuart Storey & Joe Standen
  • manc
    Options
    Thanks Neil-

So should I just hold on or also report to experian that incorrect information is being shown?
  • manc
    Options
    I contacted Experian about this and after investigation got the response:

"*Electoral Roll

The electoral roll details on your credit report are a copy of your local council's record of who is or has been registered to vote from an address. Electoral roll details are not financial information and we cannot remove them from your credit report."

I'd contacted the council in the meantime to update my details - and remove the other person. So hoping that works...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills