Tesco CC in the wrong over a Missed payment?

Options
Hi all,

I've had a Tesco CC for about 3 years. Used the 0% deal for 12 months and paid it off via DD. All good.

However, 1 month ago, they offered a 0% balance transfer deal. So I put £1000 on it from a another 0% deal which was about to end and calculated how much I'd need to pay off each month to pay off in full via min DD and extra payments each month before the promo period ended. Again, all good.

However! On the day the first DD was due for the new balance, the money didn't come out my account to pay the first min. payment. I hadn't cancelled it (it should have still been active from 3 years ago) so I called Tesco in a panic.

Tesco - "The DD has been cancelled due to inactivity"
Me - "You've cancelled it, or my bank has cancelled it?"
Tesco - "We haven't cancelled it, but since it's been 12 months since you've used it, it can just elapse and become void - or your bank can cancel it"
Me - "I best check with my bank then (Nationwide BS - they hadn't cancelled it). Will I get a missed payment charge?"
Tesco - "Likely, but since it's your first offence, we'll be happy to refund it"
Me - "But it's not really my fault is it? you've not written to me to say that it's cancelled and the DD guarantee doesn't mention it'll stop working if I don't use it?"
Tesco - "I see what you're saying, but don't worry, we'll refund you if you pay the min payment."
Me - "Will the missed payment show on my credit file?"
Tesco - "No, we only report the missed payment if it's over a month late"

So I paid...

Couple of questions though:

Is this my fault? (I accept I should have checked the DD is still active)
Do I take them at their word? They have reversed the missed payment charges, but do I need to check my credit file a month later?

Thanks in advance.
Marketing and web design guy. FIRE enthusiast.

Comments

• chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,906 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    It normaly says on your statement if its going to be taken by dd. They are right about 12 month rule though
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • talk2alex
    Options
    Thanks,
    It did say that it was going to be taken by DD on my statement and even 2 days after the payment was due, my CC online account said "thank you for paying - DD received". Except it hadn't as it hadn't come out of my account. It took 3 working days in the end for the DD to bounce :(
    So, the DD was still active at Tesco's end, but not my current account provider's end (so I would have never known) other than ringing Nationwide to check or logging into my internet account and search through the active DD's.

Nightmare!
    I'm going to assume the missed payment won't show on my credit record, but just signed up to My Noddle to check next month
  • Gordon_Hose
    Gordon_Hose Posts: 6,259 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Why does it matter, they've said they will refund you and it won't be recorded on your file.

Just leave it. Hopefully the call was recorded if anything crops up.
  • talk2alex
    Options
    Because I'm a cynic when it comes to financial institutions, but I'm hoping you're right. Time will tell!
  • Anoneemoose
    Anoneemoose Posts: 2,258 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Another thing to mention - did you check whether you will still get the promotional 0% rate as (I think) there are often t&c's that say if it's a late payment, you lose this. Just something to double check to be on the safe side.
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Direct debits are subject to a 13 month dormancy period that's why it wouldn't have been paid even though it was still set up at tescos end.

http://www.directdebit.co.uk/DirectDebitExplained/FAQs/Pages/InactiveDirectDebits.aspx
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family