Redundancy & handing in notice

Options
Hi, my position was classed as affected by change about 2 months ago. On a number of occasions I discussed the possibility of applying for voluntary redundancies with my line manager, & was told that there would be no opportunities for me to apply for redundancy. So, as you can probably guess, I handed in my notice, then received a newsletter saying that they were looking for people to volunteer for redundancy. I would have been entitled to about £30,000 redundancy pay, so I am absolutely gutted. I know it's a long shot, but is there anything I can do?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Nothing really, try to withdraw the resignation but you must have had soemthing better to go to, even if they accept they may still just keep you.

Some companies do this when they need to make changes and have a bit of time, insert a bit of uncertainty but wait to see if anyone jumps saves a shedload of money but the often lose the better people.
  • ableandy
    ableandy Posts: 265 Forumite
    Options
    Firstly, the purpose of redundancy pay is to tide you over whilst you look for a new position.

Secondly, when you asked about voluntary redundancy did you do it in writing? Did they reply in writing? If you/they did you could have a claim in a Tribunal, there is case law on this but you have to be able to provide evidence that the company knew all along they were going to be making redundancies but encouraged you to resign first, therefore saving them money.

Reading your post though, it looks as if your role has not even been selected for redundancy at this stage, they are simply looking for potential volunteers. Your role might be one that is crucial for the business and so they are now going to have to put someone else into it.

As getmore4less says you could ask to withdraw your notice but this is a dangerous game as you are then going to risk a. Not being elected and b. Losing the job that I hope you have already secured before handing in your notice.

Try not to look at this as something you have lost, you have an opportunity in a new position - good luck.
    :jI am an Employment Law Paralegal and an experienced Human Resources Manager and offer my guidance as simply that ... guidance :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure