What would be a good way to arrange payment for a small (tiny) business?

Options
Hello folks,

I am in the process of doing a bit of work as an audio to document transcriber - working from home. Does anyone here do this kind of work, or similar? What would be a sensible way to arrange getting paid at the end of each job?

Thanks so much,

Julia.

Comments

• Bravestar
    Options
    julia12 wrote: »
    Hello folks,

I am in the process of doing a bit of work as an audio to document transcriber - working from home. Does anyone here do this kind of work, or similar? What would be a sensible way to arrange getting paid at the end of each job?

Thanks so much,

Julia.

Cash, cheque, money transfer.
    There's loads of options.
    Have you considered bitcoin?

Or were you thinking of something even more unusual?
    Perhaps bales of hay or some plumbing work in exchange?

You would normally agree terms before you start work ;)
  • InsideInsurance
    Options
    Where are your clients based? How are you getting their business?

These days its mainly bank transfers if they are UK based or PayPal if they are overseas or want to pay by card. A few may want to send cheques etc but it'd be fairly rare.

Of cause if you are going via the likes of Guru.com or other freelancing sites then these normally deal with the payment for you using themselves as an escrow service
  • im-lost
    im-lost Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    Options
    Braintreepayments.com if you want to take card details... Part of paypal.

First £30,000 in payments are processed free

Can work as a virtual terminal, payment gateway, can store payment details etc and can charge as and when, with the cardholders permission of course.
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Where are your clients based? How are you getting their business?

These days its mainly bank transfers if they are UK based or PayPal if they are overseas or want to pay by card. A few may want to send cheques etc but it'd be fairly rare.

Of cause if you are going via the likes of Guru.com or other freelancing sites then these normally deal with the payment for you using themselves as an escrow service

I prefer to pay by cheque to suppliers, and to pay clients by bank transfer, but that's just the way I do things and may not suit everyone.
    im-lost wrote: »
    Braintreepayments.com if you want to take card details... Part of paypal.

First £30,000 in payments are processed free

Can work as a virtual terminal, payment gateway, can store payment details etc and can charge as and when, with the cardholders permission of course.

We're contracting with Braintree, and have had no problems.

I know others that have, and they've had problems receiving payment within the specified times, so this is something that will need to be taken into account as/when necessary.

Chargebacks with VT's are usually IRO 1%, where cheque and bank transfer are much more rare (I've never had)
    💙💛 💔
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport