🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

What CC for my situation???

Options
My situation is basically i am going travelling in 4 weeks time for a year-18months & towards the end i reckon ill need to use a CC, or at least have the option to. Thing is i already have two CC with my current bank(BOS), although their both paid off now and i havent used them in 6months, i havent always been sharpish with payments and suspect my history may not be the best, although i cant keep the my current two cards as the APR is super high.

What do you guys think i should do, i want a low APRInterest card that is good to use abroad and i reckon i wont have to use it for a while. The only reason i havent got rid of my two current cards with the BOS is that i am thinking that if have them paid off in full and not being used fo several months then that will increase my credit rating

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• pazza2000
    pazza2000 Posts: 558 Forumite
    Options
    ....Somebody must have a guess of an idea?? As i am clueless with the old CC's
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you use the cards while you are travelling, you will need to make arrangements to pay at least the monthly minimum payments.
    Presumably you have this in hand.

One aspect about using cards abroad is whether they charge a foreign currency surcharge. Most do but Nationwide does not impose an overseas charge, however, if you don't intend to pay the full amount off each month then a low APR may be more releveant to your circumstances.

Without any real details about how you intend to actually use the card its impossible to have a view on the matter.

In any event you have left it a bit late in my view to apply for a new card.

I would suggest you use your current cards asap to make sure they are still active, make arrangements to pay the amount off in full, inform the cards of your overseas plans so they dont freeze the cards and have a good time.
  • pazza2000
    Options
    Thanks Clapton

My current cards still work...but the APR is high!!! As i dont plan on paying them off in full, i want to get a low APR, however i dont plan on using them for about 9months from now!! Also, bearing in mind my potentially bad credit history, what do you think should do?????
  • BoltonMinx
    BoltonMinx Posts: 1,382 Forumite
    Options
    You should check your credit history first to make sure you really do have bad credit - I've missed the payment date maybe twice in the last year on two of my cards but this wasnt reported to the credit agency - this could be due to the payment being received within a day or so after the cut off date.

Experian are currently offering a free credit report - just don't forget to cancel before the 30 days are up.

Also have a read of Martins article here: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/credit-rating-credit-score

Then find a low APR card with low / no charges for overseas spending - I usually check http://www.stoozing.com for card information but always sign up via Quidco if there is a referral deal to be had.

Hope This Helps
    "There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

:A ~~~ S
    pread some good Karma ~~~ :A
  • BoltonMinx
    BoltonMinx Posts: 1,382 Forumite
    Options
    P.S - Is it possible to ask your bank for a better deal? No harm in asking :)
    "There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

:A ~~~ S
    pread some good Karma ~~~ :A
  • pazza2000
    Options
    Do banks do this often?? I could keep my cards and then when the time i feel i need to start using them is approaching, i could give them a call, and ask for a better deal....or i could cancel them now which would improve my rating, and i could apply for another one??

Thanks

Questions: Does earning effect your credit, and how can the CC companies tell what your earnings are??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 4 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport