Present help please for awkward nan

Hi all :)

having racked my brains for the last 4 months, I am still super stuck on what to buy for my nan. She's 78, hates anything "old person" (including, but not limited to: gardening, knitting/crocheting, grandkids and great grandkids "craft messes" - her words not mine - and photos, candles, bath/shower stuff, jewellery, trinkets, clutter, digital photo frames, hampers (she's very fussy with food), technology and especially anything that reminds her of her age).

Last year I got her a lovely watercolour painting, which is hung in her snug, but this year I am absolutely stumped. She loves football, but has literally everything football related and then some. She has mobility problems so days out are a no-go, even something as simple as going for a relaxed lunch out takes hours of planning and execution and she hates fuss.

Grandkids are grown up, she has one great grand child (not mine!), and I don't have a budget as such, but anything less than £500 would be awesome.

Anyone have any ideas?

TIA x

Comments

• What team does she support? You can get those personalised books based on the team which tells you about the history and will be personalised to your nan?
  • DomRavioli
    DomRavioli Posts: 3,136 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    nick-nick wrote: »
    What team does she support? You can get those personalised books based on the team which tells you about the history and will be personalised to your nan?

Hiya

She's a Man City fan (season ticket holder for 51 years) and has 4 of those I think. There's nothing new out this year that hasn't already been bought by others.
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    New TV?

What does she actually do then?
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • mrcow
    mrcow Posts: 15,170 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Can you not buy her something she'd like to wear?
    "One day I realised that when you are lying in your grave, it's no good saying, "I was too shy, too frightened."
    Because by then you've blown your chances. That's it."
  • DomRavioli
    DomRavioli Posts: 3,136 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    whitewing wrote: »
    New TV?

What does she actually do then?
    Hi there :)

Not sure what you mean by what does she do - she's 78, she doesn't do anything? She is pretty immobile so doesn't have any hobbies as she cannot use her limbs properly and has almost zero dexterity in her hands.

She has a TV, she doesn't watch it very often, and getting a new one with a new remote would likely confuse her. She's a bit of a technophobe as I stated in the OP.

And Mrcow, I wouldn't dare get her clothes, in case she didn't like them. I've toyed with the idea of vouchers but she doesn't shop online, and rarely goes shopping.
  • Do Man City have a former players association? You could contact them to see if any of the olden day players will go out for lunch with her one day or something? Not a present as such, but she would probably enjoy that.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,664 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 November 2014 at 11:01PM
    I think whitewing may have meant how does she occupy herself now? Does she like reading, listening to music/the radio to stop herself from getting bored?
    Does she like a bit of pampering - someone coming in to give her a manicure, hand massage, facial, that sort of thing?

My grandmother didn't like a fuss, but once we got a wheelchair taxi sorted she thought the effort was worth the change of scenery. Is some sort of outing really out of the question, if you can convince her she's not putting anyone out?

Alternatively, a good bottle of the tipple of her preference?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • themull1
    themull1 Posts: 4,299 Forumite
    Get in touch with Man City and see if you can get a signed photo?
  • What about a Man City shirt?

Or a signed MCFC shirt she could hang on the wall given she seems such a devout fan.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • Would she like a mobile hairdresser/beautician to come to her house for some treatments and a new hairdo?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure