Finally facing up - SOA

Options

Comments

• James_B.
    James_B. Posts: 404 Forumite
    edited 15 November 2014 at 11:51PM
    Options
    Kittykat85 wrote: »
    Clothing - yes I probably do as I am a size 24 a lot of the discount option don't fit and I also take a size 9EEE shoe, making Evans pretty much my only option there, at £30 a pair! I walk a lot so basic shoes wear out quickly.

OK, I know that this will not be welcome advice, but perhaps try cutting back on the quantities of food that you buy and eat. At size 24, and as a smoker, you at vastly increased risk of early death or debilitating disease.

Very importantly, too, you simply cannot afford to consume as much as you are doing. £350 per month on groceries is a shockingly large amount for someone in so much debt.

Speak to your GP about support; they will very likely have a scheme available to help you. It could change (and save) your life.
  • Kittykat85
    Options
    I've already cut down and have gone from a size 26 to 24. I'm spending about £30 a week on food. Rest is pop, toiletries and rolling baccy.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Kittykat85 wrote: »
    I've already cut down and have gone from a size 26 to 24. I'm spending about £30 a week on food. Rest is pop, toiletries and rolling baccy.

Break the groceries down further

pop
    smokes
    food
    household
    personal

might need to review further.
  • saraih
    saraih Posts: 263 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I moved from rolling my own to ecigs, best move I ever made. The initial investment was £30 for the gadget and then around £25 a month for the oils. I'm a stupidly heavy smoker and it's never out of my mouth but I've managed to go from 18 strength to 6 in a year.

I was on about 40 rollies a day by the time I switched. It wasn't even that hard as it was the catch in the throat that got me and you still get it.

Less smell, no mess, much cheaper. I do find that you need a routine for it to work as one battery has to be charging while you use the other and that's when you can really be tempted to go and buy some real tobacco.

Anyway it can be ridiculously hard especially when you're stressed about money, so don't put too much pressure on yourself but it's worth a try if you can.

The sparkling water is a good idea, but watch out for initial headaches if you flat out quit pop, it can be quite the withdrawal.

The easiest thing is toiletries, cutting back on that and going to pound shops/ebay/sales and being mindful of purchases instead of impulse buying it with the other shopping really helps.

Good luck!
  • moohound
    moohound Posts: 1,209 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    You will definitely feel better without tobacco, it is hard at first, but its worth it for your bank balance and your health.
    ISA £1675 :DMiniMoohound savings £3685.86 :T Plus £3800 CTF :)
    'MrMoneyMuststache' my new hero, Martin Lewis my long time hero
    Poacher turned Gamekeeper
    Roadkill rebel No 52 Aug £1.34p Sept 24p Oct 5p Nov 5p Sealed pot Challenge No 403 £176.66(2014) :staradmin NOV NST No 20
  • getmore4less
    Options
    Oh forgot,

spending diary is the most powerful tool you have at your disposal.

Ultimately you need to know where your money goes in order to make cut backs.

By recording your spending your SOA develops in to an accurate reflection of where your money goes so you can make your choices.
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Op I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the adative they use to replace sugar in fizzy drinks is as harmful to your health as the sugar. From memory, I believe it is called aspartame and is banned in France due to potential effects on health.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• getmore4less
    Options
    patman99 wrote: »
    Op I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the adative they use to replace sugar in fizzy drinks is as harmful to your health as the sugar. From memory, I believe it is called aspartame and is banned in France due to potential effects on health.

That depends who you believe. Worth a read of the various opinions on this and other artificial sweeteners.

Some link it to depressive symptoms.

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=aspartame

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/the-truth-about-aspartame.aspx

I think it is a good idea to just stop sweetening everything you get used to it quite quickly.
  • Bex296
    Bex296 Posts: 151 Forumite
    Options
    Along the lines of saraih's response- a good friend of mine switched from cigarettes to e-cigs and hasn't looked back. He's still addicted to nicotine, but the habit is a lot cheaper now and is probably less harmful.
    Good luck.
    Debt: [STRIKE]£8652[/STRIKE]£8550:eek:
    Honeymoon and post-job savings: £50/£1100,
    DFD target: December 2015
    Saving for Xmas 15 #35: - £4/£365
    NST December #28 - Food etc- £200.71/£260, :xmastree: & decs £0/40, Diesel £48/£110, Christmas presents and spending money £335.59/£380, Food Bank £5/5, SFDs 1/15.
  • James_B.
    James_B. Posts: 404 Forumite
    Options
    Switch to e-cigarettes, and then, when you want one, go for a walk instead.

Spend the money that you save in the first week on a pedometer, and ensure you do 10,000 steps a day.

Every calorie counts. Write every one down, and limit them. You will lose weight at a pretty well-defined rate if you do this scientifically.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure