New Post Advanced Search

MSE News: IT bug at Ovo Energy means 13,000 customer bills were wrong

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
42 replies 6.4K views
Former_MSE_PalomaFormer_MSE_Paloma
531 posts
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound!
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
Thousands of Ovo Energy customers were charged the wrong amounts for their gas and electricity bills due to an IT 'bug' ...
Read the full story:

IT bug at Ovo Energy means 13,000 customer bills were wrong

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• There are still bugs. What happens to those who owe £10? Is that an MSE or Ovo bug? ;)
  • bexster1975bexster1975 Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Bake Off Boss!
    ✭✭✭
    It's not just this bug. Last week ovo emailed to say they were increasing my DD by 50%, even though I am over two months in credit! Called them to ask why and all customer service could say was "it's obviously a mistake". I'm afraid I don't believe it's a mistake. I told them to return the payment to the previous level if they couldn't justify the increase, so they did. It's hard work doing other peoples jobs as well as your own

Bexster :)
  • brewerdavebrewerdave Forumite
    6.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nada666 wrote: »
    There are still bugs. What happens to those who owe £10? Is that an MSE or Ovo bug? ;)

...up to £10 debt is being written off?
  • brewerdave wrote: »
    ...up to £10 debt is being written off?
    It has been slightly corrected.

The "it will write off payments owed of under £10. For those who owe between £10.01 and" was previously something like "under £10. More than £10.01" so the undefined range has been reduced from two pennies to a single penny. Not sure why they would bother to edit it but still leave in that undefined amount, though.

Not that, on the grand scale of things, ...
  • zerogzerog Forumite
    2.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's not just this bug. Last week ovo emailed to say they were increasing my DD by 50%, even though I am over two months in credit! Called them to ask why and all customer service could say was "it's obviously a mistake". I'm afraid I don't believe it's a mistake. I told them to return the payment to the previous level if they couldn't justify the increase, so they did. It's hard work doing other peoples jobs as well as your own

Bexster :)

I wish this happened to me, OVO pays 3% interest on credit balances, but they won't pay it if you artificially inflate your DD. If they mistakenly inflate your DD then it's a different matter ...
  • Stunned at the practices of this company.

As a new build eco house they have dreamt up a fictitious annual consumption figure, their EAC, that bears no relation to actual consumption. They use this figure to set the Direct Debit.

I've pointed out the huge disparity between EAC and usage and asked for an accurate revised projection. They've got 400,000 customers and extrapolating data isn't that difficult.

But no. They cannot be arsed. Much easier to gouge customers. DD increased by 119% last month.

So its off to the Ombudsman we go.
    I bet their is a condition in their licence that states they MUST give the best estimates of usage.
  • Terry98Terry98 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    They seem to have major problems with their IT systems.

I have not been able to access my account for five months and have been told it will be another couple of months before the problem is sorted out.

It's just not good enough for a company that is supposed to be one of the best for customer service.
  • Want to go all Victor Meldrew and say i cant believe it. I transferred to EVO from EDF and so far EVO have my vote as they cant possibly make more of a hash of it than EDF! So far so good lets see if I'm one of those whose been underpaying...
  • jamesperrettjamesperrett Forumite
    943 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    They've had problems for ages - for me they started off very cheap but that was mainly because they'd got metric and imperial measurements mixed up. They then regularly increased my DD until I ended up over £500 in credit by the time I left. They seem just as disorganised as most of the big boys.
  • brewerdavebrewerdave Forumite
    6.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    They've had problems for ages - for me they started off very cheap but that was mainly because they'd got metric and imperial measurements mixed up. They then regularly increased my DD until I ended up over £500 in credit by the time I left. They seem just as disorganised as most of the big boys.

...did you get your credit back in a reasonable time frame? I ask because I'm moving from them to EON at the rnd of this month and will be ~ £400 in credit!!
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support