Is it OK to buy things with a student discount and resell them?

Options

Comments

• lyster101
    Options
    When a student, I bought a MacBook pro using the discount (12% I think it was). It was subsequently stolen. Apple refused to honour the discount for the replacement when I received the insurance money. You can only play this game once per year.
  • schd
    schd Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    I've never heard such a load of old !!!!!!!!; "tax liability"...........we're talking a few pounds here and there made by a hard up student. Are you going to report him, or shall I???
  • Ashagill
    Options
    I live by "Thou shall not steal if there is a direct victim" (Dan Le sac vs scroobious pip - Thou shalt always kill - check it out on YouTube!)

So, this is exactly the kind of thing I would do. But I'm slightly anti-capitalist...

:rotfl:
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity." ~ Abraham Lincoln
  • marich
    marich Posts: 125 Forumite
    Options
    If it's a dilemma for you then you are balancing your greed against your conscience . You know what's right and wrong and you know you are abusing the system .

Maybe it's clever but it's wrong . You're not the end-user that the offer is there for , you are a re-seller and could end up in a complicated place if one of your buyers decided to be clever back !
  • swabaxter
    Options
    I don't see any issue doing this as a one off.
    I suspect Apple places a limit on how many items you can buy using a student discount and that being the case this would be a one off situation.
  • pennypinchUK
    Options
    Apple are willing to sell an item to you for x price. After that, once it's yours you're free to do whatever you like with it.

Anyway, a 15% discount for an Apple product still means it's expensive.
  • florere
    florere Posts: 104 Forumite
    Options
    No it isn't OK if too many people follow your example Apple will stop giving student discount so people like you are hurting other students long term.
  • florere
    florere Posts: 104 Forumite
    Options
    tain wrote: »
    http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/campaigns/education_pricing

I'm guessing from the way it's worded, the extra sale is in the 3 year warranty, which is worth a fancy penny on its own.

Yes that would make it worth it if it were also sold on, say at half price, but is it valid, I would expect it to be only valid for the first purchaser, and I for one would not buy a new machine for less than a 15% discount on e-bay, I would expect a much bigger discount as I wouldn't expect to get the normal consumer rights.
  • gloriouslyhappy
    Options
    Apple products cost a lot of money, and if I were in the market for one, I'd go through a proper store rather than risk a 'fell off the back of a lorry' scenario. You might be able to sell it, but probably at the same or less than you paid for it, so what's the point?
  • happyinflorida
    Options
    No of course it isn't. I'd make sure the guarantee is still valid though if you sell the item.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure