Reliable phone insurance??

Options
2»

Comments

• manrow
    manrow Posts: 185 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I recently made a claim on an o2 policy covering our Samsung S5s. The issue was that the cover to waterproof the recharge connections area at the bottom, had broken off. It really is a weak point as the cover lies alongside the cable when charging, so when disconnecting there is a chance you will pull out the cable and break the small cover at the same time.
    On contacting o2, they asked that I send the phone back for repair. I was unhappy to do that as I could be without my phone for up to a week, so I proposed that I take the phone to the shop where I bought it, and exchange for their loan phone. That was agreed but they told me there would be charge of £60 for any claim on the policy; that seems exorbitant to me, especially as they were not planning to automatically exchange for a new unit as would have happened with the previous policy only last year. In fairness to o2, they did in fact exchange the entire unit, but it seems to me that the policy as it stands is not good value and I will be investigating alternatives.
    Be ALERT - The world needs more LERTS
  • InsideInsurance
    Options
    Repair, replace or cash is always at the insurers discretion and almost all policies have an excess payable irrespective of the cost of the damage
  • MarkBargain
    MarkBargain Posts: 1,641 Forumite
    Options
    Wouldn't it be more cost effective to pay £10-a-month for a Nationwide FlexPlus acount? (http://www.nationwide.co.uk/products/current-accounts/flexplus/features-and-benefits) That covers the family's phones and the excesses are £50 to £100 (Apple) and £25 to £50 (other brands). You also get car breakdown cover, family worldwide travel insurance, extended warranties on electricals, ID theft and card assistance, and some credit interest.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure