We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Impartial Financial (property related) advice
Cintrapark
Posts: 92 Forumite
I moved abroad around 4.5 years ago and have just bought an apartment off plan. In order to do so, I extended my mortgage in London so that it is roughly 52% of the apartment's current value. I have taken a 25 year mortgage and the rental income is just about paying the monthly instalments. The mortgage is fairly large. I'm 38 years old.
The apartment abroad will be ready in around two years time and the mortgage will be around 44% of the total value.
Whilst I earn OK, I'm never going to be a high earner. Right now my apartment in the UK is in good condition, however, I'm not sure if I'd have the money to pay for extensive refurbs in let's say 10 years or so. In addition, I have just read that the government plans to introduce capital gains tax for expat sellers from April 2015 (this will be 28% tax for any gain achieved after April 2015 up to the date of sale).
I'm now wondering what to do. Should I carry on renting out the apartment, or should I simply sell it and live mortgage free in my current location. People tell me that I'd be crazy to sell an apartment in London and that I should keep it going for as long as possible.
Would appreciate any advice!
Thanks
The apartment abroad will be ready in around two years time and the mortgage will be around 44% of the total value.
Whilst I earn OK, I'm never going to be a high earner. Right now my apartment in the UK is in good condition, however, I'm not sure if I'd have the money to pay for extensive refurbs in let's say 10 years or so. In addition, I have just read that the government plans to introduce capital gains tax for expat sellers from April 2015 (this will be 28% tax for any gain achieved after April 2015 up to the date of sale).
I'm now wondering what to do. Should I carry on renting out the apartment, or should I simply sell it and live mortgage free in my current location. People tell me that I'd be crazy to sell an apartment in London and that I should keep it going for as long as possible.
Would appreciate any advice!
Thanks
0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards