BMI Credit Card

Options
Hi, I'm a newbie on here and did a bit of a search of the forums but couldn't find the exact answer to my question, so apologies if there's an answer out in the forums somewhere, and aplogies for the long windedness!

I currently have an MBNA Platinum card with a balance of £1100, I was told about the 20,000 free BMI miles that you receive as an introductory offer when you apply for a BMI card and spend £250+ within 90 days. I fly a lot and also a member of the BMI Diamond club so thought I may as well take advantage of the freebie, as well as the 12 months interested free on balance transfers.

Unfortunately, I notice that their balance transfer offer does not apply to other MBNA accounts, which appears to rule me out of that offer.

However, I noticed the following in the T&C's
Cheque transactions: In the first twelve months from the account opening date, we will charge interest at the rate of 0% p.a. (a year). After that, we will charge a standard rate of 15.9% p.a. (a year).

That seems to suggest eg. I write an £1100 cheque drawn on the BMI card account payable to my partner, she then writes a cheque to my existing MBNA Platinum card account to clears the balance, and I wont get charged interest on that card for £12 months (apart from paying their 3% handling fee) - so in effect a balance transfer by the back door?

Can anyone confirm if I am reading this right?

Comments

• ZippyandBungle_2
    Options
    bump bump bump :A
  • ZippyandBungle_2
    Options
    Can nobody help? :confused::(
  • The_Boss
    The_Boss Posts: 5,850 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    That is assuming you are issued with cheques, as they are not automatic unless it says so.

I've requested them several times for my bmi card, and not received them.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    First of all, you may not be accepted for the BMI card because you already have an MBNA run card.

If you do get accepted, your existing limit will be taken into consideration. However, if you have spare credit on the MBNA card they may move some to the BMI card.

You do know that you'll pay interest on your £250 purchase(s) from month 4 and until you completely clear the BT balance?

If you're OK with all the above, then don't faff around with cheques and involving your partner's bank account. Simply call MBNA and ask them to transfer your (ficticious ;)) overdraft to the BMI card (this should be given at 0% but check before going through with it). Then settle your MBNA card from your current account.
  • frang1
    frang1 Posts: 77 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry, to bring this thread back but just a quick question. With the transfer would you also get bmi miles for the amount transferred?

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport