Contents insurance claim - must I accept vouchers

Options
2»

Comments

• InsideInsurance
    Options
    *Scarlett wrote: »
    They can offer to replace by means of vouchers if they cannot supply the exact item.

I disagree with the above as see http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/92/92-insurance-claims.html#cs1

The provider was unable to provide a like for like replacement and so the ombudsman upheld a complaint for full cash settlement. If you had a £90,000 Cartier diamond panther ring you're not going to be expected to accept £90,000 of H Samuels vouchers where the nearest thing they offer is a £25 silver ring

It is absolutely correct that just because the OP doesnt want all that jewellery nor because of the sentimental value can a full cash settlement be demanded.

On the basis jewellery from was grandmother I'd guess your talking 1930s? Art Deco? I am sure the OP can argue that they did like the styling which H Samuels or Goldsmiths or whoever the jeweler is cannot provide

They may not be able to get it all at full value as inevitably some more modern/ classic pieces probably are still around today but it could well get at least some of it at full value cash.
  • Blue_Doggy
    Options
    Thank you, Inside Insurance, a useful link.
    “Tomorrow is another day for decluttering.”
    Decluttering 2023 🏅🏅🏅🏅⭐️⭐️
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family