Gap insurance in moms name but car registered to me..

Options
jadebee
jadebee Posts: 174 Forumite
Hi all,
This is slightly strange my mom brought a car and had the finance in her name because I was a nursing student at the time and couldn't get finance, the car was registered in my name.

However when we brought the car we were given gap insurance - Again in my moms name - The car has now been written off - Would the gap insurance still stand even though the car is in my name?

My mom is still insured on the vehicle and the finance is still in her name.

Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• InsideInsurance
    Options
    You need to read the terms of the policy.

The registered keeper is rarely of much interest but who the owner is can be. As she paid for it then it would suggest its her car even if you are the registered keeper but the question will be if you have declared this to your Car insurers?
  • OddballJamie
    OddballJamie Posts: 2,661 Forumite
    Options
    What did the gap insurance company say when you called them to notify of a claim?
  • jadebee
    Options
    What did the gap insurance company say when you called them to notify of a claim?

They said it is a really unusual situation - my mom has the finance but isn't the registered keeper of the car, as usually when buying a car they are reluctant to do it.

They said they don't know if there will be an issue as my mom is still insured on the car she is still paying the finance (which I give her the money for)
  • jadebee
    edited 3 November 2014 at 4:42PM
    Options
    You need to read the terms of the policy.

The registered keeper is rarely of much interest but who the owner is can be. As she paid for it then it would suggest its her car even if you are the registered keeper but the question will be if you have declared this to your Car insurers?

My car insurance aren't actually handling my claim - But my mom is a second driver on my policy, it asks if I'm the registered keeper, Which I am, but in a financial sense this isn't my car - Regardless of if I give her the monthly payment.
  • InsideInsurance
    Options
    jadebee wrote: »
    My car insurance aren't actually handling my claim - But my mom is a second driver on my policy, it asks if I'm the registered keeper, Which I am, but in a financial sense this isn't my car - Regardless of if I give her the monthly payment.

It would be unusual for an insurer not to ask who the owner of the vehicle is as well as the keeper. Who are you insured with?

Who is dealing with the total loss? The Third Party Insurer after a non-fault accident?
  • jadebee
    Options
    It would be unusual for an insurer not to ask who the owner of the vehicle is as well as the keeper. Who are you insured with?

Who is dealing with the total loss? The Third Party Insurer after a non-fault accident?

My car is being paid for directly from the bus company. the accident has been reported to my insurance but it was easier for me to have the bus company handle it as my excess is £700.

I'm insured with swinton - It may well have asked me, I will have to dig my policy out.

I've got to be honest I wish I was a bit more clued up on all this, I feel like a right idiot whenever I speak to someone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure