PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

MAKE DO AND MEND - old clothes - altering, upcycling, re-sizing, customising etc

Options

Comments

• Evil_Olive
    Evil_Olive Posts: 322 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 3 November 2014 at 10:32AM
    Options
    aren't saleable as they are, or that hang around for ages on the rails because they were made for someone specific who was a very different shape to anyone now

My last project was a dress that I swear was made for a transvestite :D
    Really wide shoulders and back with very shallow bust shaping, shoulder to waist measurement at least 2 inches longer than the average woman, big waist and hips not significantly larger than the waist. Plus very high close fitting neck (to hide the adam's apple?) :D

Lovely 100% wool though and it's getting towards winter so I persevered. Sadly I didn't think to take a 'before' picture but I might post an 'after' as I was quite pleased with how it turned out :)
    Don’t try to keep up with the Jones’s. They are broke!
  • AlwaysAllie
    Options
    Fantastic thread - I'm a 'not very confident' sewer but have just this afternoon altered a tunic top that I have only even worn once. Removing the lace from the hem, taking in the sides and rehemming it!

Still not sure if I'll wear it but it's better than it was and it was all done by guess work (and a bit of rough measuring!)

Looking forward to this thread!

AA
  • littlepinkbiscuits
    Options
    Brilliant thread!

I follow the refashion co-op website, really interesting and full of ideas.

I used to buy very 70's jeans (Oxford bag style) for a pound a pair in the early 80's, put them on inside out and pin tightly around leg then sew. Trouble was there was no such thing as stretch denim in those days! I also used to frequent jumble sales and cheap markets for second hand clothing.

I've done a couple of refashions recently for the OH, I managed to transform a ladies size 10 blanket jacket and a ladies large jacket with mad print into mens XXL gilets.

Still love charity shops as that's where most of my clothing comes from, and can't wait to move into my new house so I can start sewing with gusto!
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,333 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Fab thread! I am a keen (but not so skilled) up-cycler, so will be reading with interest.

I just (within the last hour!) finished sewing a white & cerise printed ribbon around the neck of a cerise cashmere cardi I picked up in a charity shop for £3, reduced to that because the neck was a bit mothy...hence the ribbon trim :)

I have a big stash of CS woollens that I want to make into cushions, and other items that I want for the fabric for other projects that I haven't yet thought up. I'm lucky to have a craft room, with table, sewing machine, shelves & fabric-wardrobe with my fabrics & wool hidden in :D
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • jfdi
    jfdi Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Evil_Olive wrote: »
    Hi jfdi,
    I found the best one does two or three running stitches followed by one zigzag stitch (which gives the stretch) - I think it's the one that's meant for blind hemming. There's often a dedicated stretch stitch too which is a running stitch that goes back on itself slightly with each stitch.
    If not, just using running stitch but stretching the fabric slightly

My thoughts too (well - the zigzag bit anyhow!).

2 winters ago I made an enormous patchwork bedspread from all those fleeces we collected over the years & no longer wore. It's a bit wobbly in places (so bulky!) but kept us very snug. Didn't use it last year as it was so mild down here. If I get it out again this year (& according to the forecasts I will!) I'll take a pic.

Used to sew everything (another teenage child of the 70s here!), but except for cushions, curtains & the odd bit of mending I've not done much for years.
    :mad: :j:D:beer::eek::A:p:rotfl::cool::):(:T
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How exciting you made me wish I could sew. Might have a go, will definitely lurk on here.
  • thriftwizard
    Options
    Evil Olive - totally inspired! Thank you, that all sounds quite do-able though I may go off the rails a bit with the insert fabric & use something dramatic from a 1950s curtain. Will report back in a week or two, with pics - there's a room refurb in progress at the moment, around my assorted sewing machines - the very best & finest of which is a 1909 Jones treadle which doesn't even go backwards. But nor does it ever go wrong...
    Angie - GC June 24: £59.15/£420: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 15/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • gsymoo
    gsymoo Posts: 133 Forumite
    Options
    Love this thread! I had a pattern for a baker boy style hat. Wasn't sure if it would work so used my sons old school trousers (worn at knees, no longer fit waist) to try it out. It worked brilliantly! Its a great hat and he finds it hilarious that Im wearing his trousers on my head.

My daughter liked it so I found a pink checked wool blend scarf at a charity shop for a £1. Sized the pattern down and even managed to match the check up, she loves it. We only have one fabric shop on guernsey so charity shops are a great way to find fabric, esp. mens shirts.
  • Effyb4
    Effyb4 Posts: 258 Forumite
    Options
    Today I made a personalised handkerchief out of an old cot sheet, as a birthday present. It has a sailing boat embroidered onto it, with initials in the sail. I'm fairly pleased with how it has turned out.
    £1000 Emergency Fund #175 - £598/£1000
    PAYDBX 16 #134 - £2139.00/£6961.85
    Roadkill Rebel #22 85p
  • mioliere
    mioliere Posts: 6,838 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What a great idea for a thread, Evil Olive. Vintage is all the rage now, and you probably have some amazing items of clothing in your collection. I am just getting to grips with a sewing machine again after years of doing my best to avoid it, and want to have a go at altering things. So far, I've stuck to making simple things like cushion covers, but would love to get a bit more ambitious! Have you seen this lady and her website? http://www.dawnoporter.co.uk/ She is a great believer in vintage and her TV show earlier this year showed not only how things can be altered but also how much some people will spend on vintage clothing. The London shops charge astronomical prices for things that the rest of us pay under a fiver for.

Just found this: http://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=make%20do%20and%20mend&rs=ac&len=11&term_meta%5B%5D=make+do+and+mend%7Cautocomplete%7C0

I shall follow this thread with interest!
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

Squares: 11, Animal blankets: 2
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills