PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Council rent increased?

Options
When I moved into my council flat I was on benefits so only paid a small fraction of the rent but the rent amount was £58 a week. When I came off of benefits and got a job the council said the rent is £85 a week. Does this sound like a usual thing that happens? Was my rent for some reason less when I was out of work, even though benefits paid for most of it anyway? I am currently looking at moving as even though £85 a week does not seem like much, I do not believe it should be that much.

Comments

• boo2410
    boo2410 Posts: 316 Forumite
    Options
    Rent normally increases annually, unless improvements are done mid way through the year, and even then you have to be given 28 days notice I think.

How long ago did you move into your property? If you have been there some time and were on benefits perhaps you did not take much notice of the increases?
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    85 a week sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Have you looked at the private rental costs in the area.

I think you might be in for a shock if you are thinking of moving from Council property to private.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Was the £58 you paid also topped up with Housing Benefit that the council paid to themselves to make your total rent £85 a week?

Since you have a secure tenancy with your council flat think long and hard before giving that up to go into a private rental.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure