PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

16 condition rating 3's on homebuyers report and loads of 2's

Options
16 category 3's on the and a lot of cat 2's.

We are not sure what to do. We are 8 weeks into the sale, have sold our property, have around 75 days to complete on a new house or we loose our 0.75% rate and I am 32 weeks pregnant.

Issues are: any thoughts?

The Roof - The survey says it needs an inspection to obtain a report and quotes for the works that are required. Inc, the current covering is deteriorated and worn, daylight can be seen though the roof structure from the attic space as there is no under felting this means weather penetrates into the roof space, there is a noticeable deflection of the rear roof slope, noticeable deflection of the rafters, the chimney stack is causing dampness on the inside and needs re-pointing, plus, missing roof tiles, very little installation

Guttering - this is blocked at the rear of the property and is causing dampness in the 2nd bedroom upstairs

Walls/Pointing - there is a hole in the rear kitchen wall that needs filling, the property needs re-pointing but the main parts are at the back of the property as it is causing dampness in the back bedrooms and the dining room

Damp - damp readings were obtained in the rear bedrooms (surveyor explains that this is most likely caused by the guttering and pointing), the chimney stack is damp, rear left side of the dining room too.

Electrics - its needs a safety check completing

Unsafe wall - the rear right hand boundary wall is unstable and at risk of collapse.

Ceilings - made of lath and plaster and prone to risk of collapse

These are the main ones, there are other cat 3's but we can cope with those.

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The property will need some remedial work. Some of this is trivial (guttering) some will incur cost.

Are you prepared to devote the time and put up with the trouble of managing repairs?

Have you got a contingency fund that will cover these costs/

Have you tried negotiating on price?
  • ri17
    ri17 Posts: 75 Forumite
    Options
    No we've a 2 year old and due a baby so time to manage mess/repairs is so far down my list right now.

No extra cash to plug into the property and faced with mat pay and part time work won't mean we'll have much either.

Id rather they do the works to sort it tbh.

The damp really bothers me as they're the children's bedrooms as does the thought of a wall or celing coming down on them
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ri17 wrote: »
    Electrics - its needs a safety check completing
    Ceilings - made of lath and plaster and prone to risk of collapse

These are the main ones, there are other cat 3's but we can cope with those.
    If that's the kind of standard of thing that's scaring you...

Post the exact wording of them, and we'll ask for pics where they might help, but we'll help to figure out what's worth worrying about and what's backside-covering.
  • ri17
    edited 31 October 2014 at 10:35PM
    Options
    The list above in the first post is what bothers us. Mainly roof and damp are the big ones for us though. Ill post the actual wording tomorrow
  • AdrianC
    Options
    L&P ceilings can collapse, yes. But they give plenty of warning of it - cracks, piles of dust.
    Find me a single house for sale that doesn't "need" an electrical safety check completing, if you're so inclined as to feel you need one.

Pics of this "unsafe" wall would be a big help. But if it's THAT unsafe, I'm sure you noticed it.

As far as the rest - well, yes, it sounds like the roof and guttering is knackered. Again, should be fairly obvious from ground level, as should the pointing.

What did the survey give for a value? Is it "cheap" for similar places in good condition? Get a roofer in for a report, if you want to continue, and use that as a negotiation point with the vendor - or walk away.
  • ri17
    Options
    That's good about the ceiling. It goes on about collapsing without prior warning in the survey.

No we didn't notice the wall but tbh we didn't look at it properly, not something id think to check, I was more preoccupied about how we would buy higher fences

House isn't cheaper than others. Its a set of 4 the same on the street and is average priced but more expensive than the last 2 previous sales. Valuation is agreed price but it states that on a condition we're happy to get the recommended works completed.

We've forwarded a list to ea add they've forwarded to the vendor who will get back to us Monday. In the meantime my hubby is going to contact a roofer for quotes
  • Mrs_Imp
    Mrs_Imp Posts: 1,001 Forumite
    Options
    We have 1930s lathe and plaster ceilings. They are cracked and uneven, but haven't fallen down (yet). We used Wallrock to cover them. Our plasterer also advised that if we wanted to replace them we should cover with plasterboard rather than remove them.

tbh I think the roof and the repointing are your main issues. The boundary wall can be taken down and replaced, the guttering can be cleaned, the electric certificate can be done by the vendors.
  • ri17
    Options
    Yes they are the ones that are bothering us and we will get quotes for. I have done a bit of resaerch though and it looks like a new roof job which isnt a quick fix and we do not have the funds for.

If this was a long stay home we'd be more accepting but its a 5 year plan home and I think with all the other cat 3 things on there the people we want to sell to could easily run a mile too and we could be stuck with a money pit fixing the last owners issues.

It also needs new windows/doors, bathroom and boiler but we were willing to accept those but it just all seems too much now.

They had a buyer before who pulled out after the survey and can now see why!
  • AdrianC
    Options
    So negotiate the sale price down, and look at it as an opportunity to add value across your ownership.

Or walk away.
  • ri17
    Options
    Yes we are prepared to walk away from it and our very low mortgage rate (sob!)

I do not think she will be forthcoming to reduce price as the ea said when our offer was accepted she would not be reducing any further after the survey, which we thought was very strange to say at the time...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure