Apply for a credit card before or after buying a property

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
6 replies 687 views
Heisenberg87_2Heisenberg87_2 Forumite
85 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
I have been offered a credit card by Nationwide and at present do not need one. However in the next 3 months I will be buying a small property with my partner and we would like a credit card so we can start purchasing things washing machines/sofa etc...

My question is am I best to do this now? Or wait a month before I buy my property or wait until after?

My current salary is £25,000 my partners is £28,000 and we have £0 debt with an equifax/experian credit score of excellent.

Replies

• eskbankereskbanker Forumite
    18.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're going to need a mortgage then it'll be less risky if you wait until after completion (i.e. why potentially jeopardise a large and critical credit agreement by going for a smaller less important one as well), but if no mortgage involved then fire away!
  • grumblergrumbler Forumite
    54.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Generally, I don't see how one credit card without a balance can affect a future mortgage application.

However, if you have the mortgage agreed already, check with the provider as many (all?) stipulate that you have not to apply for new credit until the deal is done.

Soon after changing the address it's usually more difficult to get a CC.
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse. :(

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
  • statorstator Forumite
    7.4K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've helped Parliament
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't, there's a risk it will affect your mortgage offer and none of us can say whether it will or not.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • eskbanker wrote: »
    If you're going to need a mortgage then it'll be less risky if you wait until after completion (i.e. why potentially jeopardise a large and critical credit agreement by going for a smaller less important one as well), but if no mortgage involved then fire away!

It's mainly will I be eligable after I have a property? Thats what I'm worried about...
  • YorkshireBoyYorkshireBoy Forumite
    31.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been offered a credit card by Nationwide
    If this the same 'guaranteed acceptance' offer I got around a year ago they didn't credit search me. Of course that's not to say they'll treat you the same.

Even if they don't search you though, you'll still have a recently opened credit card account on your file when the mortgage provider searches you (probably twice?) in 3 months time. So you'll have to weigh up the 'risk'.
  • If this the same 'guaranteed acceptance' offer I got around a year ago they didn't credit search me. Of course that's not to say they'll treat you the same.

Even if they don't search you though, you'll still have a recently opened credit card account on your file when the mortgage provider searches you (probably twice?) in 3 months time. So you'll have to weigh up the 'risk'.

It is yes, its already been pre agreed. Thank you..
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides