Advice needed on reciept of buyers homebuyer report

2»

Replies

• Personally don't think that the report findings warrant a reduction of £3.5K, the extra sockets made me laugh too :-)
  • edited 31 October 2014 at 7:03PM
    Pete9501Pete9501 Forumite
    427 Posts
    edited 31 October 2014 at 7:03PM
    Agreed, tell the EA the answer is no and why if the work was carried out do they also want a reduction in the price?

Actually, they have done you a favour showing you the report, because it doesn't name anything really serious does it :j
  • G_MG_M Forumite
    52K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Pete9501 wrote: »
    Agreed, tell the EA the answer is no and why if the work was carried out do they also want a reduction in the price?

Actually, they have done you a favour showing you the report, because it doesn't name anything really serious does it :j
    Not in this case.

Asking the question simply implies you will do one or the other, but none of these issues warrent work OR a reduction in price.
  • kinger101kinger101 Forumite
    6K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    The buyer is taking the p1ss with the sockets. Surely they managed to count them when they viewed the house?

I certainly wouldn't get the electrics checked on their behalf. If a problem does show up, it will only give them more wiggle room to negotiate downward on price. At least if they employ their own electrician to this this, it shows they are at least serious.

Getting the gas rechecked, and sorting out the cabling in the loft ought to be straightforward, and certainly come in well under £3,500.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • dotchasdotchas Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe get the smell of gas in the kitchen investigated....just in case!
    :j I love bargains:j
    I love MSE
  • princeofpoundsprinceofpounds Forumite
    10.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am very surprised any of those are 3s except the gas smell perhaps.

Every survey recommends an electricity test as surveyors are not electricians and pretty much any installation becomes non-compliant after a couple of years. It barely ever means anything.

The sockets thing is just not a problem full stop. That's for the owners to do if they want.

The cables is not good practice but if there is no scorching currently it is highly unlikely to ever be a problem. And it's easy to fix if you care.

The gas thing is more concerning. I've never smelt gas near a functioning boiler. A gassafe check is not that expensive and I'd trust one, but remember the buyer doesn't know that the gas smell came before the safety check.

So they are basically just asking for a price cut. At most I'd offer them a gassafe test and access if they wanted to do their own electricity test. Assuming I thought I could achieve the same price if they pull out.
  • jbainbridgejbainbridge Forumite
    2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Gas and electric are always marked as a 3 - the surveyor is not an expert on either of these. The buyer should be advised to conduct their own tests.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides