Savings

Options
Hi,

I have savings of around £30000 in a foreign bank earning 5% per annum. I want to move this money as the country in question is starting to worry me. My question is what and where can I place it to get at least the same interest or better. I don't mind risk but not high risk. I would like it to be worth around £50000 in 3-4 years time.

Thanks for your help in anticipation.

Comments

• sorcerer
    sorcerer Posts: 878 Forumite
    Options
    Your not going to make that kind of money in the UK unless you take pretty high risk, and even then no guarantees. So in a UK bank account, you will get about 1 to 2% depending on what you do. 3-4 year is too short a time to invest the money which is the only way you could get to your 50,000. But you could also turn your 30,000 into 10,000 in 3-4 years.
  • SW17
    SW17 Posts: 858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Biltrac wrote: »
    Hi,

I have savings of around £30000 in a foreign bank earning 5% per annum. I want to move this money as the country in question is starting to worry me. My question is what and where can I place it to get at least the same interest or better. I don't mind risk but not high risk. I would like it to be worth around £50000 in 3-4 years time.

Would endorse Sorcerer's comments, but also your numbers don't add up. To get to £50k in 4 years would require almost 15% return each year, compounded. You are currently getting 5% in return for risk and looking for lower risk, so why would you expect triple the return?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure