A record?

Options
Got our home insurance renewal quote in the post today - up from £110 to £436!

Now, I know we should expect an increase and I was certainly expecting to have to haggle or move but is this a record? Has anyone else's insurance quadrupled (or more) without any of the details changing?

Comments

• stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Not had anything that bad before :O

I pressume you had no claims?
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Options
    No claims by either of us on any of our insurances. No job changes. The only change is that we now have a baby (not that they know about her yet so the premium may go up further!).
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It sounds like a firm no longer wanting to write such business in your area. Hiking the price is one way of sending the appropriate message that you should look for a new insurer.

It's probably nothing to do with you personally.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • *Scarlett
    *Scarlett Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    Options
    Agree with kingstreet - it's nothing personal. Probably the insurer is looking to withdraw from your area. It could be that they have paid out a lot of other claims and now perceive a higher risk.

Get a few quotes elsewhere before you do anything else as regards to the current policy - just to make sure it's not a general thing with your postcode.

And congratulations with the new baby!
  • ViolaLass
    Options
    kingstreet wrote: »
    It sounds like a firm no longer wanting to write such business in your area. Hiking the price is one way of sending the appropriate message that you should look for a new insurer.

It's probably nothing to do with you personally.

I was hoping to dine out on this for some time and there you go, bursting my bubble with a reasonable reply.
  • nobbysn*ts
    nobbysn*ts Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ViolaLass wrote: »
    I was hoping to dine out on this for some time and there you go, bursting my bubble with a reasonable reply.

Well, if you want to check, go online, get a dummy quote for one of your neighbours, with your postcode, with a false name, but use all your figures, rounded to the nearest £100 or so from the insurer as a new customer. I think you'll see a different figure. Post it back up.
  • ViolaLass
    Options
    nobbysn*ts wrote: »
    Well, if you want to check, go online, get a dummy quote for one of your neighbours, with your postcode, with a false name, but use all your figures, rounded to the nearest £100 or so from the insurer as a new customer. I think you'll see a different figure. Post it back up.

Did as you suggested and got a quote of £125. So I should take the quadrupled premium personally?
  • nobbysn*ts
    nobbysn*ts Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ViolaLass wrote: »
    Did as you suggested and got a quote of £125. So I should take the quadrupled premium personally?

As another insurance representative would say 'Ohh yes'. Have you by chance taken the renewal offer up with them previously?
  • r2015
    r2015 Posts: 1,136 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    And there was me thinking my £20 increase was bad.
    over 73 but not over the hill.
  • ViolaLass
    Options
    nobbysn*ts wrote: »
    As another insurance representative would say 'Ohh yes'. Have you by chance taken the renewal offer up with them previously?

Nope, I was a new customer this time last year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure