completion today - but condition of sale has not been met

Just on the off chance someone may have experience of this or some advice:
I'm due to pick up my keys of the new house later.
There was, and still is, a static caravan / mobile home on the property. A condition of sale was that this was to be removed and it's also the reason I agreed to pay what I did. I've spoken with my solicitor and their estate agent who are both simply asking the seller to remove it.
I'm fairly resigned to the fact that I may be stuck with it now. It was plumbed and had oil heating but all of that has been dismantled. The caravan has been moved a bit and is now unstable.
Have I any rights with regard to recovering the cost of having it removed, and/or compensation for breach of the condition of sale - given that I wouldn't have paid as much as I did if I knew I'd be stuck with this thing.

Or should I put it down as bad luck and inexperience and just forget about it??

p.s. anyone want a static caravan? free to collect?? :rotfl:

Replies

• BrowntoaBrowntoa Forumite, Board Guide
    48.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    as its a condition of sale you can pay to get it removed and bill the other party via your solicitor
    Links in my signature currently broken
    I'm the Board Guide of the ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to [email protected] Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.[
  • okay - that's what I was hoping. Thanks Browntoa!
  • BrowntoaBrowntoa Forumite, Board Guide
    48.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solicitor will confirm but as long as its in the contract that its to be removed then you're laughing
    Links in my signature currently broken
    I'm the Board Guide of the ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to [email protected] Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.[
  • silvercarsilvercar Forumite, Board Guide
    42.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Browntoa wrote: »
    as its a condition of sale you can pay to get it removed and bill the other party via your solicitor

I would get onto your solicitor quick. If he can contact the seller's solicitor quickly they could retain some of the purchase money to allow for this. Much easier than chasing them in week's time and find they claim to have no money and risk having to take them to court.
    Usually found at a vaccine centre 💉
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
  • edited 31 October 2014 at 3:21PM
    davidmcndavidmcn Forumite
    23.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 31 October 2014 at 3:21PM
    This was actually in your contract? If so then you could probably have refused to complete until it's removed, though I guess it's too late in the day to threaten that now.
  • lincroft1710lincroft1710 Forumite
    15.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does the condition of sale actually use the word "remove" rather than just "move"?
  • lincroft1710lincroft1710 Forumite
    15.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the caravan has aluminium walls and roof it will have some scrap value.
  • Richard_WebsterRichard_Webster Forumite
    7.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Browntoa View Post
    I would get onto your solicitor quick. If he can contact the seller's solicitor quickly they could retain some of the purchase money to allow for this. Much easier than chasing them in week's time and find they claim to have no money and risk having to take them to court.

Just want to repeat Silvercar's wise comment.

Having legal rights is one thing - enforcing them another. Try to get something knocked off the amount you pay over to cover the cost of removing the caravan or get the seller's solicitor to retain some of the funds.
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides