I want interest rates to stay at rock bottom for ever

Comments

• C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    talexuser wrote: »
    It just goes to show what I've suspected for years - that talk of interest rates rising soon they roll out every now and then is just hot air. Remember forward guidance? Remember 7% unemployment trigger?

Our recovery is based entirely on cheap money and debt as the only option left. How long it can go on without a sea change in productivity and exports remains to be seen.

Its true. The whole idea of a substantial rise in interests rates is fanciful and a lie to mislead the public. I say stock up on bond funds... I say that the most that interest rates will rise is no more than 0.5% in the next 2 years,,if that..
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    Osborne and his puppet Carney will never increase interest rates of their own volition because it would expose the true extent of their borrowing.
    The really scary part is that their borrowing has not funded investment. It has funded consumption - like record and rapidly rising housing benefit claims as a result of their pumping up house prices.
    Their attempts to reduce benefit claims have been a failure.
    I have been following the 'can't pay, we'll take it away' TV programme which follows High Court Baliffs. Typically they evict someone for non payment of unaffordable rent. Then they go to the council and get rehoused in a Hotel at greater expense to the taxpayer. To quote the Senior Baliff, ex CID policeman Paul Bohill 'The whole system is f*cked in the head'
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,011 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Zzzzz, your needle's stuck Glen
    If you've got something worth saying keep your mouth shut..and open it when you have something worth hearing..
  • Mistermeaner
    Mistermeaner Posts: 2,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Issue created by the previous labour gvmt IMO

*ducks and runs for cover*
    Left is never right but I always am.
  • kingrulzuk
    kingrulzuk Posts: 1,330 Forumite
    Im voting for UKIP Next Year :)
    What happens if you push this button?
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,592 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Glen_Clark wrote: »
    Brown was awful, but Osborne has not only increased our debts more than Brown, but more than the 300 years before Osborne started - since records began. Thats quite an achievement in 4 years!!

Bit misleading to quote numbers like that. Brown shouldn't have increased debt at all during a period of growth followed by 2 bad years.

If you wreck something but walk away before the effects become obvious does that mean you have no blame for it?

I doubt rates will rise next year, possibly towards the end of the year but the assumption that rates will be near normal anytime soon is way off in my view.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Glen_Clark wrote: »
    Brown was awful, but Osborne has not only increased our debts more than Brown, but more than the 300 years before Osborne started - since records began. Thats quite an achievement in 4 years!!

Osborne didn't create the debts. He inherited 13 years of Browns incompetence in running the economy. To suggest things just happen is sheer fantasy. For example 500,000 extra public sector workers weren't employed in April 2010.

It's on the public record that Blair disagreed with Brown as far back as 2005 about the increase in Governmental expenditure on the welfare state.
  • talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,498 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    It's on the public record that Blair disagreed with Brown as far back as 2005 about the increase in Governmental expenditure on the welfare state.

But also would have had us in the Euro before the crash... and 25 billion (if you believe the figures) down the drain to produce record poppy production in Afghanistan. None of them seem to know what they are doing.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    talexuser wrote: »
    But also would have had us in the Euro before the crash... and 25 billion (if you believe the figures) down the drain to produce record poppy production in Afghanistan. None of them seem to know what they are doing.

So very true. Even now.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,120 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Osborne didn't create the debts. He inherited 13 years of Browns incompetence in running the economy. To suggest things just happen is sheer fantasy. For example 500,000 extra public sector workers weren't employed in April 2010.

Suggest you look at the data even if it doesnt demonstrate your prejudices. Pre-crash during Gordon Browns chancellorship public spending as a % of GDP was not very different to that during the previous Major years and rather less than that during Margaret Thatcher's time. It increased greatly after the crash as GDP dropped and unemployment increased.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure