PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord: what do you make of this?

Options
2»

Comments

• quidsy
    quidsy Posts: 2,181 Forumite
    Options
    bris wrote: »
    It was a letter that didn't need to be sent in the first place, the LL may or may not have went over the top but why bring up a non existent problem, it's either broke or it's not.

Sounds to me like you are a bit of a nightmare, there is two sides to every story.

It is the tenants duty to report any potential issues to the LL before they become a major issue if & when possible. It is then up to the LL to decide to deal with it or wait to see if it develops into a major expense. Giving "fyi" letters also protects the tenant in case of moving our disputes.
    I don't respond to stupid so that's why I am ignoring you.

2015 £2 saver #188 = £45
  • hgotsparkle
    hgotsparkle Posts: 1,282 Forumite
    Options
    bris wrote: »
    It was a letter that didn't need to be sent in the first place, the LL may or may not have went over the top but why bring up a non existent problem, it's either broke or it's not.

Sounds to me like you are a bit of a nightmare, there is two sides to every story.

I wouldn't exactly call making the owner of the property aware of faults and caring for the property being a nightmare.
  • fishpond
    fishpond Posts: 1,022 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 31 October 2014 at 3:13PM
    Options
    My question is, who is responsible for the toilet?
    On the brief info given, it could well be the tenants which is possibly why the LL is getting a bit flushed.:D

Is it a very simple fix which the LL feels is within the capabilities of tenants and there is no need to come out?

A toilet and associated fittings is not exactly rocket science, is it?
    I am a LandLord,(under review) so there!:p
  • princeofpounds
    princeofpounds Posts: 10,396 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes just sounds like a weird and touchy landlord. Given they are elderly that may have a lot to do with it (before anyone says, I know most elderly people don't go cranky but some do).

And they probably 'target' you as you are a woman (right?) and so maybe see you as the housekeeper, to speculate.

Also, sometimes people have outdated assumptions about how these sorts of LL-T relationships are meant to run, and also sometimes people don't understand the tone of business letters or understand why writing is important as a record as well as communication.

To put it bluntly, don't take it so personally, because they would probably be this cranky with anyone.

If there is nothing important, then I would just ignore it.

If you need something done, then you need to have the backbone to challenge - just write back and say something like 'it is unfortunate you perceived a negative tone in my previous letter as it was not intended as such, now tell me how are you going to fix my bathroom'. This way you are acknowledging any perceived slight, but you have nothing to apologise for. Then you focus the issue back on the REAL matter at hand.

PS I think bris is being silly - FYI communications are perfectly normal, as many maintenance problems start out as 'mere' issues.

PPS I'm not sure why you are concerned about the LL taking it up with the LA. The LA are merely the LL's agents, you have no contractual relationship with them.

PPPS You are in a weaker position than you 'should' be as you appear to be benefitting from a discounted rent. Don't get trapped in that servient mindset as a result; the LL is a service provider and you are a customer.
  • hgotsparkle
    hgotsparkle Posts: 1,282 Forumite
    Options
    Yes just sounds like a weird and touchy landlord. Given they are elderly that may have a lot to do with it (before anyone says, I know most elderly people don't go cranky but some do).

And they probably 'target' you as you are a woman (right?) and so maybe see you as the housekeeper, to speculate.

Also, sometimes people have outdated assumptions about how these sorts of LL-T relationships are meant to run, and also sometimes people don't understand the tone of business letters or understand why writing is important as a record as well as communication.

To put it bluntly, don't take it so personally, because they would probably be this cranky with anyone.

If there is nothing important, then I would just ignore it.

If you need something done, then you need to have the backbone to challenge - just write back and say something like 'it is unfortunate you perceived a negative tone in my previous letter as it was not intended as such, now tell me how are you going to fix my bathroom'. This way you are acknowledging any perceived slight, but you have nothing to apologise for. Then you focus the issue back on the REAL matter at hand.

PS I think bris is being silly - FYI communications are perfectly normal, as many maintenance problems start out as 'mere' issues.

PPS I'm not sure why you are concerned about the LL taking it up with the LA. The LA are merely the LL's agents, you have no contractual relationship with them.

PPPS You are in a weaker position than you 'should' be as you appear to be benefitting from a discounted rent. Don't get trapped in that servient mindset as a result; the LL is a service provider and you are a customer.

Thanks

I have left a note this morning before I left for work that said sorry you perceived the letter in that way but it was meant to be just a gentle note to make you aware that something may come, up and explaining why we did not knock (as its dark out) and why we gave plenty of notice (because before, the landlord was too rushed to find a plumber once it wasn't fludhing). I expect there will be a note back about this, but as I said, if OH is home around the same time as me, I'm going to let him deal with it.

They may see me as the housekeeper, but out of the two of us, I'm the one who lets my emotions get the better of me and will get easily upset by something, whereas OH is more dismissive but will put his foot down when needed and if they are upsetting me, he will get protective of me.

I just can't wait until we have enough saved to put down a healthy deposit on our own house.... :(
  • mgarl10024
    Options
    It went along the lines of:

Did you keep a copy of the letter?
  • Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Options
    I can't think of anything worse than living next door to your LL. It stops being a professional business relationship when you're helping them out with errands and the like.

If your motivation is cheap rent, then grit your teeth, save like mad and keep proper written records of everything.

Unfortunately many elderly people become "difficult" in later life; querulous and obsessive over minor domestic details. My 91 year old Nan was getting hysterical over scaffolding on a property further down here street, insisting it would undermine her foundations and suchlike. Don't take it personally.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • 13Kent
    13Kent Posts: 1,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you find it difficult dealing with the landlord and have a letting agent maybe you could deal with them as a middle man and not deal directly with the landlord if you have any problems?
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm with Out, Vile Jelly, I'd hate living next door to my landlord. I'm sure he's a very nice person but I'd feel uncomfortable.

Just take whatever your LLs say with a pinch of salt and try not to let it get to you. Instead use it as motivation to save, save and save so you can get away from them as soon as possible.

You could just start communicating via the LA and stop taking the cantankerous old gits' bins out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure