Barclaycard abused/ Fake Experian account

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
7 replies 911 views
purple_window_shopperpurple_window_shopper Forumite
37 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
Hi, not sure if this is in the right place so apologies if not.
We were recently alerted by Barclaycard about some unusual activity on our B/card. There were 3 transactions and one pending, none of which were by us. B/card have stopped our card etc. so no problems there. Coincidentally we had to go to Tenerife for a family emergency and used the card at the airport to hire a car and at the hospital to pay the insurance excess and this has all happened after that.
However, we received a letter yesterday from Experian saying someone had tried to open an account in my husband's name but they had blocked it and they have referred it to CIFAS.
We are quite worried now about identity theft and are wondering if there is anything we could/should do?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Doing my best :doh:

Replies

• InsideInsuranceInsideInsurance Forumite
    22.5K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You've already done everything you need to for now.

If you are that worried about identity fraud you could speak to CIFAS about protective registration and may be able to get it for free if you've already been a victim of fraud but the downside of this means it'll be more difficult to get credit for yourself as whilst any serious lender will phone you and ask for your CIFAS password some stores etc will just decline rather than have the hassle.

It would be prudent in a couple of months time to review your credit report to ensure there are no more unauthorised searches.
  • MABLEMABLE Forumite
    4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Trustee rapport the best.
  • agarnettagarnett
    1.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Ignoring the Spam above, and the last part of what InsideInsurance said, you should indeed be worried.

Is your postbox secure or is it one of the "dippable" types that most in unattended blocks of flats endure?

If so it is quite possible that you have already had post stolen - e.g. post and credit card statements and even replacement credit cards and PIN reminders you did not order yourself.

If you have few bank accounts and cards then the problem is smaller to the extent you don't have to worry as much about which of your banks has been called by fraudsters (yes THEY DO DO THAT, systematically if they have your postbox noted as vulnerable to dipping or some other vulnerability against your ID!).

It is quite possible for new Barclaycards to opened in your name, delivered to your postbox, PIN sent out too, and then maxed out in your name completely without your knowledge.

It is much less likely to happen now that a CIFAS registration has been made in your name (that typically lasts a year and is a pain if you personally plan on applying for new legitimate credit).

In my experience, if Barclaycard and Experian have woken up to problems in your name, then you have probably been under attack for weeks. Neither Barclaycard or Experian are famous for nipping these attacks in the bud. In my experience it takes more than an obvious attack to wake them up.
  • edited 31 October 2014 at 11:49AM
    grumblergrumbler Forumite
    54.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 31 October 2014 at 11:49AM
    agarnett wrote: »
    In my experience, if Barclaycard and Experian have woken up to problems in your name, then you have probably been under attack for weeks. Neither Barclaycard or Experian are famous for nipping these attacks in the bud. In my experience it takes more than an obvious attack to wake them up.
    Don't know about Experian, but Barclaycard are known to be one of the most cautious CC providers when it comes to suspicious transactions.

It is possible, that fraudulent transactions and Experian application are absolutely unrelated as if it was ID fraud then most likely it would be a new card, not the old one.
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse. :(

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
  • agarnett wrote: »
    Ignoring the Spam above, and the last part of what InsideInsurance said, you should indeed be worried.

Is your postbox secure or is it one of the "dippable" types that most in unattended blocks of flats endure?

If so it is quite possible that you have already had post stolen - e.g. post and credit card statements and even replacement credit cards and PIN reminders you did not order yourself.

If you have few bank accounts and cards then the problem is smaller to the extent you don't have to worry as much about which of your banks has been called by fraudsters (yes THEY DO DO THAT, systematically if they have your postbox noted as vulnerable to dipping or some other vulnerability against your ID!).

It is quite possible for new Barclaycards to opened in your name, delivered to your postbox, PIN sent out too, and then maxed out in your name completely without your knowledge.

It is much less likely to happen now that a CIFAS registration has been made in your name (that typically lasts a year and is a pain if you personally plan on applying for new legitimate credit).

Eek I am scared now :-/ Our letterbox is not dippable, it is actually on a new UPVC high security door. We hadn't ordered any new pins or cards but had used our card in Tenerife so I am wondering if it stems from there, although the card was used for 2 O2 top ups, 1 EE top up and a £1 (I suspect a test) pending amount to Ocado which would suggest the UK. I always thought we were safe, I always shred old paperwork and I mostly have online accounts so there isn't much paperwork now anyway. I know you are not even safe online but I thought I was doing everything necessary to protect our information. Strangely enough these transactions had the same date as the date I paid the b/card bill.
    After our cards were cancelled we received new ones which were delivered by courier, although I would have thought we should sign for them, they were just popped through the door, in fact I think they should ask for photo ID before they hand them over!
    Do you think it is worth contacting both of my banks to alert them?
    Thanks
  • edited 31 October 2014 at 12:23PM
    agarnettagarnett
    1.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 31 October 2014 at 12:23PM
    Well the fact your postbox is secure cuts down a lot of possibilities.

But yes, do contact your credit card companies to square the circle with intelligence of the Experian contact and ask them to tell you if they have any record of telephone calls made in your name e.g. to their lost and stolen line to attempt to order new cards and PINs - that's a favourite trick if they have the means to intercept new cards without you knowing.

And it is worth talking to Barclaycard again and asking if anyone applied for a new card in your name. If they tell you they can't tell you because of Data Protection issues then that's as good as teling you that yes they did issue a new card probably following an online application where in the recent past minimal checks have been done against existing customer records or indeed anything else (including Experian records!)

Bank accounts are generally more difficult to attack.

You have to watch your step out there. When was the last time you heard of a burglary or a car theft? Theft type Crime is down right?

WRONG! Theft type Crime is now about hacking and impersonating, and online fraud, and it has been rife and I can only deduce deliberately obfuscated (from public view) for years.

PS Apologies to InsideInsurance - I meant the first part of what was said should be ignored ... the bit about having done all you can for now!
  • Thanks for taking the time to reply everyone, your help is very much appreciated. I consider myself quite savvy about these things so it has come as a nasty surprise! You obviously can't be too careful.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals