urGENT Tech Expertise

Options
Is there anyone here who is a computer tech expert or has been a victim of a hack??

The issue started soon after I set up a new Yahoo email account; a short while later, although I perfectly knew my word based password - I kept getting the number combination wrong. After I got locked out I called the Y! support team, he proceeded not to ask me security questions but told me that he'd help me on 'team viewer'. Immediately he told me that my computer was hacked. And that I have a very limited amount of time until my IP is taken over as well all that is within my laptop is released.

He really made a point of that all this is stemming from this new email account & that all my contacts within are getting seriously troubling emails from me.
The Yahoo email account, is a non-primary one and very few emails had been sent from it by me. The only emails I received on to that account had been automated ones.
Yahoo tech man showed me the content of the emails and it featured an outline of a series of intimidating events - "mugging" "police involvement", "upcoming airline flight" and a request for a very large sum of money of a different currency.

I enquired could a local computer repair shop deal and resolve this matter? Yahoo tech man stressed that it could only be them and said that I have to pay just under £200 or risk a great deal.
This really does not add up. There is a fault here/ a scan somewhere between the lines.

What kind of d.i.y checks can I make? The computer is a Mac

Comments

• NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    What kind of nonsense is this? You certainly didn't speak to anyone on the Yahoo Support team.
    Support is always free of charge from Yahoo

Support from Yahoo is always free of charge, but some companies not affiliated with Yahoo could represent themselves as us and charge a fee for their "support" of our products and services. Here's how you can be sure you're working with Yahoo Customer Care.
    Yahoo won't
    Charge you to reset a password or to assist with technical, abuse, or account compromise concerns.
    Request to remotely connect to your computer for a support related request.
    Support or endorse any third-party offering to provide customer care support for your Yahoo account for a fee.

You were just talking to some dodgy geezer and you let him have access to your machine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure