Scared

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
5 replies 809 views
Jules429jJules429j Forumite
12 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
I received at text message to contact a company called crs re a debt due to cancelled car insurance when my car was written off and I rang them back to arrange a payment plan. This I managed to sort out but I am quite scared that now I have spoken to them and given my new address etc that they will pass my details to others. Will this happen straight away. I have just moved in with my partner and am so scared he will have debt collectors come to our door which will make him angry and upset with me. Please can someone advise me as I feel sick right now:o

Replies

• grumblergrumbler Forumite
    54.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Debt Collectors don't report to CRAs, so I don't see how they can "pass details to others".
    However, as they managed to track you, "others" can do this too. It's their business after all.
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse. :(

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
  • InsideInsuranceInsideInsurance Forumite
    22.5K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given you are living together presumably they already know you have bad debts in which case they shouldnt be "angry" if debt collectors knock the door - or at least no more than anyone ever is.

If you have a secret past and they think you are a virgin, never had a debt etc then you probably want to come clean about yourself anyway irrespective of the collectors.

I doubt the different companies share details at the debt collectors' bar as this then weakens their position when pitching for new clients but I've no insider information
  • CKhalvashiCKhalvashi Forumite
    10.1K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Speak to him, it will probably end better than you think.

Hiding it now will lead to mistrust [STRIKE]if[/STRIKE] when he finds out down the line
    "I kada sanjamo san, nek bude hiljadu raznih boja" (L. Stamenkovic)

Please note: All posts on Coronavirus legislation refer to England unless specified otherwise.

I can spell, my iPad can't.
  • bargainbettybargainbetty Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you have a number of old debts that you think might come back to haunt you, get a copy of your credit report (£2 from Noddle) and start addressing the problems. Set up payment plans and you'll not have to worry anymore.
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.... :wall:
    LB moment - March 2006. DFD - 1 June 2012!!! DEBT FREE!
    MFW - Joined May 2012, aiming to cut the mortgage by an extra two months every year. (Overpaid £3000 so far), only 11 years to go.

• eskbankereskbanker Forumite
    18.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have a number of old debts that you think might come back to haunt you, get a copy of your credit report (£2 from Noddle) and start addressing the problems. Set up payment plans and you'll not have to worry anymore.
    OP did post on the debt-free board a few months ago and received this advice so hopefully took it already!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals