MSE News: Guest comment: You don't have to pay more because you're disabled

Options
Emma Sterland from charity Scope's online community, says there are plenty of ways disabled people can cut costs...
Read the full story:

Guest comment: You don't have to pay more because you're disabled

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What utter rubbish. I have to pay more for travel insurance because I have a disability. Being VAT free doesn't mean it's cheaper.

You can only earn £100 per week to claim carers allowance; so for many, it's really not worth it.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • SandraScarlett
    Options
    Yes, incontinence aids may be available on the NHS - but they may not. Although it is the National Health Service, the same items aren't provided nationwide.

My DH has severe Alzheimer's, and when he was still at home, I was spending a fortune on incontinence pants, £15 a week at least. The pads were provided FOC in my area, but not pants. If you are mobile, as my DH was, the pads move around, and don't do the job for which they are intended.

I found out that if he lived in Leeds, instead of London, he could have a choice. Why? Wee and poo is the same, no matter what part of the country you live in!

Eventually I managed to contact the Head Honcho of the Incontinence Service by phone, and said that this was discrimination because he had Alzheimer's but was mobile, and a violation of his Human Rights and, making sure I never raised my voice, or lost my temper, I just kept phoning and stating my case, and eventually, they agreed to supply pants.

Why must everything be a battle? Carers are worn out enough, without having to contend with pleading over incontinence aids. And if you're a carer, but in receipt of the State Retirement Pension, you can kiss goodbye to Carers Allowance.

There's an awful lot of "mays" in that article, as in you "may" be able to get x, y or z. How about making these rules nationwide, and not a postcode lottery?

xx
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    On the same day the BBC report that ESA rates may be cut, MSE publish an article titled 'it doesn't have to cost more to be disabled. At best terrible judgement.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • sheeps68
    sheeps68 Posts: 670 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If I wasn't disabled.

I would do my own cleaning and not pay a cleaner.
    I would not be buying medical equipment.
    I would be able to work full time.
    I would do my own shopping and not pay delivery charges.
    I would not be paying for a pre-payment certificate to cover my prescriptions.
    I would always cook from fresh and not buy pre-prepared vegetables.
    I would be able to walk so not needing to pay for car or taxi to travel short distances.
    I would be able to go out alone and therefore avoid double admission charges where discounts are not available for carers.
    My medication causes my teeth to crumble so would not be paying huge costs for dental treatment (even on NHS)
    I would not have purchased dossett boxes for my tablets.
  • dori2o
    dori2o Posts: 8,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Would this person be from the same organisation (Scope) that agreed with the Government regarding the reduction in walking distances from 50m under DLA to 20m for PIP?

Tells you all you need to know about them really.
    [SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    [/SIZE]
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There are many things when it comes to disability, that you simply can't skimp on. Or if you buy cheape stuff, it won't last long; so in the long run, works out more expensive.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    The more I think of it, the more annoyed I am with the title. Why couldn't it be something about stretching your money, or things no one tells you when you become disabled. Instead they've managed to be patronising, dismissive and insulting all at once.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    i agree with all the comments made so far,and at best mss are being crass at worst they are behaving like closet tories,some of the articles mse promote would see us mere mortals banished from the site
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    Sainsbury's cafe charges 30p more if you want a gluten-free roll with your soup of the day. I don't know anyone who would choose a gluten-free roll if it wasn't for medical reasons.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Sunshinesusie3
    Options
    Until somebody lives this life they'll never know how much the costs are. It's definitely not a life style choice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure